AaronF

/qn vs. /qr vs. manual installation

I have a strange issue that has me stumped. I have a property called AGENCY. At runtime, a registry search called MY_AGENCY checks the client computer to see if it has already been assigned to an agency, and if so I have a "set property function" that sets AGENCY = MY_AGENCY assuming that AGENCY isn't specified in the command line. This works just fine if I manually run the setup. I want to be able to run the setup silently while also passing the AGENCY variable to it using the command "msiexec -i setup.msi AGENCY="EPSO" /qn. When I do this, however, the installation doesn't seem to do anything. However, if I use /qr or /passive rather than /qn, the installation works fine and uses the AGENCY value I specified in the command line. The problem is that it also displays progress dialog boxes that I don't want the users seeing. Is there something wrong with using the /qn parameter?
Eusebiu

Re: /qn vs. /qr vs. manual installation

Hi,

Can you please make sure that you run the package in an elevated console (launched with "Run as administrator")?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
AaronF

Seems quirky, but I ran this same command on a Windows XP client and it works with /qn. The installer has had the "run as administrator" option set from early on. I've even tried launching from an elevated command prompt while also using the runas command while also being logged onto the client as an administrator. No go on Windows 7, unless I run the command with /qr or /passive. Fortunately the majority of the target computers for us will be Windows XP. Still, I'd like to know what can be done to fix this. Thanks.
Eusebiu

Hi,

It is strange that the same installer works on Windows XP and this make me still believe the problem is about the elevation. Are you sure that you run the command prompt as in the attached image? Otherwise can you please send me a verbose log of the installation so I can take a look of it?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Attachments
CMD Run as admin.png
CMD Run as admin.png (147.71 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
AaronF

I had tried as you stated, but call it a fluke it wasn't working on the first Windows 7 client I tried, however on another it worked just fine. Maybe because I had been using the first client to design and test the installer in the first place and just had some leftovers from previous tests mucking it up? Not sure, but at least I can confirm it works now on XP and 7 clients.

I do have another issue though that has me stumped. I created this package as an EXE setup with resources next to it, and have the CAB files compressed, and included into the MSI database. When I launch the .exe directly, the installation works perfectly. However when I manually launch the MSI file I get the following error message "Failed to create the control YouMustAgreeCtrl on the dialog InstallDlg". I get the same message even if I try building it without the exe and just have a single MSI file. I need the EXE setup anyway, for the updater portion, but either way I can't run a manual installation directly from the MSI file. The control that is in error is actually the default control that was built when I chose the BlackSurface theme, and I haven't made any changes to it other than the wording which should matter I'm sure. I know I could just run from the EXE file and be done with it, however there has to be some fix for this issue and would prefer that either the exe or the msi could be run to get the same thing done. Any suggestions?
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (260.84 KiB) Viewed 10128 times
Teodor

Hi
AaronF wrote:When I launch the .exe directly, the installation works perfectly. However when I manually launch the MSI file I get the following error message "Failed to create the control YouMustAgreeCtrl on the dialog InstallDlg". I get the same message even if I try building it without the exe and just have a single MSI file. I need the EXE setup anyway, for the updater portion, but either way I can't run a manual installation directly from the MSI file. The control that is in error is actually the default control that was built when I chose the BlackSurface theme, and I haven't made any changes to it other than the wording which should matter I'm sure. I know I could just run from the EXE file and be done with it, however there has to be some fix for this issue and would prefer that either the exe or the msi could be run to get the same thing done. Any suggestions?
This is a limitation imposed by Windows Installer. The Enhanced User Interface is a feature supported by Advanced Installer and the package must be installed by the EXE bootstrapper.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards
Teodor Micu - Advanced Installer Team
AaronF

Is there no way around this limitation? Using the updater, which requires the EXE Setup, it wants to download and launch the MSI file and execute it, but since it can't directly execute the MSI in interactive mode without generating an error it ceases to function properly. Is it just the hyperlink control that causes it to fail? i.e. if I were to remove that hyperlink control, would it then run from the MSI directly without error?
AaronF

Disregard my last. I think I may have it. I needed to set the webupate configuration file to download and launch the .exe rather than the .msi. Few more tests, and tweaks, etc. and I think I will have it done. Awesome product. Best I've seen, and pretty easy to use. Will recommend to others.
Imran7

i have same issue with my application Beckoff Twincat 3.0, if i run with /qn UI windows is hidden but setup is skipping the installation.
Same command line if run with /qr complete installation is working fine but UI windows is coming that is the problem.
@AaronF, Long time i hope you have faced same issue , Please let me know how you resolve this issue.
Eusebiu

Hi and welcome to our forums.

Are you sure that you have admin permissions when you try to install your application silently? Can you try this from an elevated console and see if it works?

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”