bmcgin

When running the install the 2nd time

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 am

When setup.msi is run for the 2nd time, windows displays a message saying the program is already installed and it needs to be uninstalled before continuing.

Is there a checkbox or anything in Advanced Installer so that it will automatically uninstall when setup.msi is run? My users will not know how to find "Add or Remove Programs".

I am using the free version at the moment. This is my first time ever needing a windows installer. All I am doing is creating a few registry values and copying a few files in a directory. The Advanced Installer is very impressive.

Dan

Re: When running the install the 2nd time

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:14 am

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Usually, this message is showed if you created a package, installed it, modified its contents and then you tried to install it again without uninstalling the original one. Basically, Windows Installer can upgrade the original package only if the modified one has a higher version and a different Product Code. If you don't want to create a new version of the package, you need to uninstall the original MSI before installing the modified one. However, if you want to create a new version which will upgrade the old one, you can follow the steps explained in the Upgrades article.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

bmcgin

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

It looks like if "Disable Modify" "Disable Repair" and "Disable Remove" are unchecked then 2nd time the installer is run, the user is prompted with the options to Modify, Repair or Remove. In my case this is better than asking users to uninstall. I will try this approach.

Dan

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello,

Please note that the intended purpose for the related options is:
  • Disable Modify - Disables the "Change" option in the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel.
    Disable Repair - Disables the "Repair" button in the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel. This button is showed when you select the Click here for support information link.
    Disable Remove - Disables the "Remove" option in the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel.
As I said, you will get the "Another version of this product is already installed" message because you created a package, installed it, modified its contents and then you tried to install it again without uninstalling the original one.

If you run the same installation package for the second time then Windows Installer will run the installer in maintenance mode and the user will then be presented with choices to alter the installed product, repair it or remove it (done through the MaintenanceTypeDlg). This is happening because the installation package has the same PackageCode GUID. A new PackageCode is generated each time you build your project. Think of the PackageCode as some sort of checksum. No two .msi files should ever have the same PackageCode unless they are identical.

Please take a closer look on the Product Identification article.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”