munashe

Silent install of SQL Server 2014 Express

I am building my application using Java SE 8 and will use SQL Server Express 2014.

Can I perform a silent install of SQL Server Express 2014 and if so how?
Dan

Re: Silent install of SQL Server 2014 Express

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Yes, you can I perform a silent install of SQL Server Express 2014 within your installation package.
In order to achieve that, you can go in the Prerequisites page and add the SQL Server 2014 Express as a Pre-Install prerequisite. Since we don't have yet in our predefined list of prerequisites the "SQL Server 2014 Express”, you can add it using:
  • - New Package Prerequisite toolbar button to create a new prerequisite using files from disk.
  • - New URL Prerequisite toolbar button and add the download URL of the prerequisite.
Please keep in mind that this type of prerequisite is created with default settings, so you need to configure it manually.

Please note that the User Guide contains a prerequisite tutorial which may help you. Advanced Installer has predefined prerequisites for SQL Server Express ,unfortunately, we don't have the SQL Server 2014 Express in our predefined list but it will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer. Maybe, you can use them instead of creating new one.

After the prerequisite is created, you can use its command line to pass parameters to it.
For more details about SQL Server installation with a custom command line please see the Install SQL Server 2014 from the Command Prompt.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Dan

Hello,

We already have added the SQL Server 2014 Express predefined prerequisites in our next version of Advanced Installer.

Until then, you can download the .zip archive which contains the fragments for the SQL Server 2014 Express. Download the zip archive and unzip them in the installation folder of Advanced Installer, the version which you are using. (e.g. for version 11.1 of Advanced Installer the default one is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 11.1\fragments\prerequisites).

After you restart your Advanced Installer, you can go in the Prerequisites page and you should see the SQL Server 2014 Express in the predefined list of prerequisites.

In the Install Command Lines field from the Setup Files tab of the prerequisite you can add the command line statements for the silent install.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
Dan
Attachments
MSSQL Express 2014 x32 - x64.zip
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
Dan

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 11.3 of Advanced Installer released on June 17th, 2014.

Best regards,
Dan
edgsoccer

I have not been able to install SQL Server 2014 Express from a Silent install... I have an action that call the Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=[#ConfigurationFilex86.ini] /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS and it starts but it hangs in the middle of the install. no error, i have to stop it. if I run the same from a bat file from advance installer it hangs again, but if i run it on the pc thru the command line it works no problem. help please. :?:
Dan

Hello,

This may happens if you added SQL Server as a Feature-based or Post-install software prerequisite. Starting with SQL Server 2008R2 SP2 (up to 2014) the SQL Server setup package cannot be installed as Feature-based or Post-Install due to a SQL Server setup problem.

Please take a look on the Why the SQL Server installation hangs? article for more information.

Let us know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
skywalker

Well I have the same problem, how can I use my configuration.ini (Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile=configurationfile.ini]) ?

I see in prerequisites the three command lines "Fall UI" "Basic UI" and "Silent (no UI)", how can I say him which one he should use?

thx

Edit: I think it would be easy when someone can give me a *.aip to load where the config is in to install this silent.
I use SQL 2014 SP2 Express Advanced x64.

Edit2: I have already received help here: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =5&t=34511
Daniel

I'm glad you got this working.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”