wimmme

msi to replace a self extracting zip ?

Hey,

we are about to purchase Advanced Installer for our business. Not a big company but nevertheless a very big client base.
Our software solution (written in Uniface and .NET) is deployed in several parts.
For a regular client (no webserver or services) the installation consist of 2 parts:
- a local installed client
- a server side folder with subfolders (UNC path -> \\server\share\RootFolder)

The local clients are installed with msi 's (created with old software, to be replaced with AI)
The server side is updated wit self Extractings zipfiles. Extraction adds or updates files, no more, no less

My question: is the self-extracting zipfile replacable with an msi ?
Since it just extraction of files, without shortcuts or registration or executions ?
We get complaints from our customers that self-extracting zips (-> exe's) are blocked more and more by virus-scanners, so maybe an msi would be better ?

The only thing the msi should do is extract files to a selected path (UNC!), and maybe the next time propose the same path, but that is optional.
Another optional thing is verify if there exist a subfolder Config in the selected path, if yes then the selected path is probably the right ;-) But that seems doable (option in FolderDlg)

If this would be possible, that would be an extra argument i can use to motivate the Big Boss to invest in AI ;)

Tnx in advance !
Last edited by wimmme on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eusebiu

Re: msi to replace a self extracting zip ?

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
My question: is the self-extracting zipfile replacable with an msi ?
Since it just extraction of files, without shortcuts or registration or executions ?
Yes, you can use an MSI package only for extracting files. In order to find how to create a simple MSI package you can take a look on the Creating a simple MSI package tutorial.

Also, if you want your MSI package not to be registered, you can go in the "Product Details" page and uncheck the "Register product with Windows Installer" option.
We get complaints from our customers that self-extracting zips (-> exe's) are blocked more and more by virus-scanners, so maybe an msi would be better ?
Creating an MSI package with Advanced Installer, you also have the option to digitally sign it and its .exe files from the Digital Signature page which will increase the veridicity of your files. But first of all, you should make sure that your files are, indeed, virus-free.
The only thing the msi should do is extract files to a selected path (UNC!), and maybe the next time propose the same path, but that is optional.
In order to keep the same path during upgrade you can go in the "Upgrades" page and select the "Use original installation path when upgrading". But I'm afraid that this option works only if the package is registered with Windows Installer.

However, you can go in the Search page and create a Folder Search to search for the installation folder of your package, by its name.
Another optional thing is verify if there exist a subfolder Config in the selected path, if yes then the selected path is probably the right But that seems doable (option in FolderDlg)
Yes, using the "FolderDlg" dialog, you can browse to the installation folder and see its sub-folders.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wimmme

Well, this helped me indeed.

I was on the right track, but something went wrong in the process, and starting all over with a fresh project did the trick.
I think i chose somewhere to create a patch instead of a major/minor release, and maybe some other experiments with application folder and FolderDlg ...

Anyway, this IS a good alternative for a self-extracting zipfile. Another good reason to buy the Pro version ;-)

Tnx !
Eusebiu

Re: [SOLVED] msi to replace a self extracting zip ?

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Just let us know if you have any other question.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
wimmme

Bought 2 Pro licenses, so we're good to go :-)

Well, i can't seem to find how I can disable the product registration with Windows Installer from the commandline.

This is looking very promising for the future of our deployment :-)
Daniel

Hello,

Thank you for purchasing Advanced Installer.

Unfortunately, we don't have a command line option to disable the "Register product with Windows Installer" option. Currently this can be done only from "Product Details" page by using the AI GUI. I've added this improvement on our TODO list and maybe it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
wimmme

Ok,
then i did search good. Thank you for your answer.
For now i can manipulate the aip file manually i guess ;)
Daniel

You're welcome.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Catalin

Hello,
Well, i can't seem to find how I can disable the product registration with Windows Installer from the commandline.
This improvement has been added in Advanced Installer 17.9, released on January 25th, 2021.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”