FrodoH

New version strategy

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:54 pm

To release a new version (that can be concurrently installed with previous version), is it better to start with new project or copy and rename AIP file and change package, update, product codes? I do not want to affect the old version with the new version in any way. If I chose the latter, I think I should disable "Automatically update older versions" option based on the article linked below.

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rsion.html

Thank you,
Fred

Dan

Re: New version strategy

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Fred,

Since you want to allow different versions of the same application to be installed on the same computer you can select the Allow side by side installs of different product versions option from the Upgrades page.

Please note that you must build the older product version with this option enabled for the intended effect.

Also, when authoring side by side installs of different versions of an application, it is recommended that some rules should be used. The install locations, registry entries, shortcuts etc. should differ from one version to another. If they are not different, the present items will be overwritten when a new version is installed. Also, they will be removed when a version of the application is uninstalled even if the other versions still uses them.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

FrodoH

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to enable side by side installs. So, I figure I will start with a new project and ensure this time I enable the switch.

Respectfully,
Fred

Dan

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am

You're welcome Fred,

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”