gallyjh

Installing Prerequisites of a suite application.

Hi,

I'm currently using AI to build Application A and Application B. Application A and Application B have their own prerequisites like MongoDB, etc that are silently installed. When I run Application A installer normally (using the UI), everything installs fine including their prerequisites. I then built a suite installer following the example here:

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... tions.html

Everything seemed fine, until I ran the suite installer using the recommended silent installer of Application A & B. Application A & B prereq's weren't installing.

So I attempted to run Application A by hand by using the following command:

Code: Select all

ApplicationA.exe /exenoui /qn APPDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Company\ApplicationA"
I'm finding that the prereq's are not being installed. Am I missing a parameter that indicates to install prereq's too? Should I be installing Application A & B's prereq's with the suite installer instead? What's best practice here?

Thanks!
Dan

Re: Installing Prerequisites of a suite application.

Hello,
So I attempted to run Application A by hand by using the following command:
CODE: SELECT ALL
ApplicationA.exe /exenoui /qn APPDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Company\ApplicationA"
I'm finding that the prereq's are not being installed. Am I missing a parameter that indicates to install prereq's too? Should I be installing Application A & B's prereq's with the suite installer instead? What's best practice here?
The command line statement seems to be correct. Can you please make sure that you are running from an elevated Command Prompt?
Since you are running silent there will be no prompt for elevation from the prerequisites, thus they will fail to install.

Also, in your main project, please make sure you have enable the option “Run as administrator“ from “Install Parameters“ page. This option is important as it will ensure your applications inherit the elevated credentials from the bundle installer, so they can install accordingly. Having this option disabled might lead to failed installations.

Also, in order to have a better view about this, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
gallyjh

So I got it working. My problem was that prereq's where in the feature-based folder. I moved them to Pre-install folder instead, and that seems to have fixed it. I guess my next question for you Dave, is there a way to show some indicator to the user that prereq's are being installed, otherwise the user just stares at this and may think nothing is going on (the prereq's can take 10 minutes to install):
2014-08-14_08h39_17.png
2014-08-14_08h39_17.png (435.28 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Thanks!
Bogdan

Here is a similar thread that might help you:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =2&t=26282

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”