ckovamees

Launch MSI directly when building with bootstrapper?

Hi,

I just upgraded to from 11.3 to 11.4.1 and notice a strange difference in behavior with regards to MSI/bootstrapper EXE launching.

I have a fairly large prerequisites set that is required on first install. To speed up updates sometime users just download the MSI to save time. The MSI has previously been possible to launch independent of the bootstrapper.

However, I just created a new project where I wanted the same behavior and it seems that that is no longer possible. When launching the MSI I get the following message now: "This package can only run from a bootstrapper"

Am I just missing a setting to disable the error when launching the MSI?

Thanks,

/Carl
Eusebiu

Re: Launch MSI directly when building with bootstrapper?

Hi Carl,

That message is displayed by a launch condition that is automatically added at build-time in the EXE packages that are created with Advanced Installer 11.3 and later. It was added in order to prevent the incorrectly drawn User Interface that could be displayed when an MSI package was launched outside its related EXE setup file.

However, if you want to bypass that (it is not recommended), you can go in the "Install Parameters" page, create the SETUPEXEDIR property and assign any value to it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ckovamees

Thanks, that took care of the problem.

/Carl
Eusebiu

You're welcome Carl. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
a.guelle

Hi,

I would like to go the other way. I have older MSI projects and would like to add the behaviour to prevent using the *.msi by the user. Just compiling the projects with AI 14.5.2 does not add the feature.

Ho can I add this behaviour to my older projects?

Best regards,

Angelo
Eusebiu

Hi Angelo,

Indeed, it seems that the MSI package is not automatically prevented from running outside the EXE setup even if the project was upgraded to the latest Advanced Installer version. I added an improvement for this on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Meanwhile, you can go in the "Builds" page, select an MSI package type, then turn it back to an EXE type and the condition that prevents the MSI will be automatically added.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Dan

Hello,

This was fixed in version 14.9 of Advanced Installer released on May 24th, 2018.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”