fmh1959

Saving context between installations

Hi

I building a web site installation where I in the first time installation has a dialog which gives possiblity to specify the sitename (PROP_SITENAME) and port (PROP_PORT) - in the dialog I give these variables some default values specifyed through the init event.

I save the settings in a xml file setting.xml - this also works fine - it's updated correctly.

This first time installation is working fine.

For the second time installation (I use OLDPRODUCTS = null) I bypass the SiteDlg dialog, this bypass works fine - and the intension was to use the saved values in the xml file - instead of specifying them in the dialog. I got that from some sample provided by the forum.

I have some problem with this second time installation - my question is must I do something to use ex. PROP_SITENAME from the file - are theese variables automatically instantiated the moment the file is present ?

In general are theese variable stacked "on the fly" ?

If nessasary I can provide a sample.

Regards

Finn
Eusebiu

Re: Saving context between installations

Hi Finn and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

If you store the values of those properties in an XML file and want to use them on a second installation, then you need to go in the "Search" page and create an "XML Search" to repopulate your properties with the values from the XML file.

If you want to have the properties auto-populated, you can use another method. Just create them in the "Install Parameters" page and select the "Set persistent property" option for them. In this case you will not need the XML file anymore.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”