h.hasenack

Finding AdvancedInstaller.com

Hi

We perform a build of our setup script from within finalbuilder. For this, I created a (finalbuilder) variable that contains the location of AdvancedInstaller.com

Now we migrated from AI 12.3.1 to 12.4 which changed the path to AdvancedInstaller.com

I would like to have this a bit more robust so I dont have to change my finalbuilder script when advanceinstaller has been updated. Is there a fixed way to obtain the location of the advancedinstaller.com (of advanced installer application folder) from e.g. the registry?

Or can I probably fix this only by scanning the subfolders of C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\* ?
----------------------------
Kind regards,

Hans Hasenack
S&G Asset Management
Netherlands
h.hasenack

Re: Finding AdvancedInstaller.com

FYI:
:idea: Scanning the subfolder using the 'Find file' action of finalbuilder works. I then put the path of the found file into a project variable which is later on used to actually trigger the setup script builds.

:roll: Unfortunately if multiple advancedInstaller versions have been installed (I have only one) you cannot select the 'youngest' or 'oldest' found file from within finalbuilder easily.
----------------------------
Kind regards,

Hans Hasenack
S&G Asset Management
Netherlands
Dan

Hi Hans,

We'll consider your suggestion for adding a system environment path for AdvancedInstaller.com, but for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your suggestion.

Usually, a system environment can be created on the machine that points to the installation folder of Advanced Installer. If you don't perform a side by side installation of Advanced Installer and select the same installation path, you don't have to change the environment variable from a new version of Advanced Installer to another.

Also thank you for sharing the results of your investigation.
I would like to have this a bit more robust so I dont have to change my finalbuilder script when advanceinstaller has been updated. Is there a fixed way to obtain the location of the advancedinstaller.com (of advanced installer application folder) from e.g. the registry?
No, in the registry we only add the installation path of each version:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Installation Path

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Catalin

Hello,

This has been fixed in Advanced Installer 16.7, released on December 12th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
tudor_turcu

Catalin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm This has been fixed in Advanced Installer 16.7, released on December 12th, 2020.
Hi,
Can you give some details on how was this fixed?
Is there an env. variable that we can use or other method to find the path to 'advanceinstaller.com' executable, in a script?
Catalin

Hello Tudor and welcome to our forums,

To be fully honest with you, this might have been a mistake on my end.

I've had a look over our bug tracking tool and saw that this ticket was closed, but with no details whatsoever. The developer who closed it also left the company in the meantime.

I've seen the ticket as "Closed" and thought it was fixed, but looks like I was wrong, at least so far from my tests.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, I'm afraid the only solution would be to create your own env variable or to simply use the hard-coded path.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”