smljoju

How to set default language in multi-lingual installer language selector?

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:45 am

I just want to follow up on this thread (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... hp?t=27951), we're able to show the language list for multi-lingual installer and let user select what language he wants to use but how can we set the default selected language in this dropdown list? Is it possible using CustomAction?

Dan

Re: How to set default language in multi-lingual installer language selector?

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 am

Hello,

I'm afraid that you cannot set the default language in the language selection dialog.

The default language is automatically set during runtime to the system language.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

smljoju

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 am

The default language is automatically set during runtime to the system language.
Ok does this mean that the dropdown value SHOULD default to the system language automatically?

Eusebiu

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

Yes, the language selection dialog will automatically display the System Language as the default one.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

smljoju

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 am

Eusebiu wrote:Hi,

Yes, the language selection dialog will automatically display the System Language as the default one.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
do we need to set special setting for this? since I'm still getting English (US) default selected in dropdown list even though system language is set to French

here is my translation settings - http://321.tv/i?bc30db2c9a60f06a063e0a45d818587c.png

Eusebiu

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:48 am

Hi,

We still have some issues in detecting and suggesting the system language on some machines, but an improvement is already scheduled for a future version of Advanced Installer. We will update this thread when the improvement will be available.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

smljoju

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:58 am

I see following in aip file

<ROW Registry="InstallLanguage" Root="-1" Key="Software\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\[ProductCode]" Name="InstallLanguage" Value="[ProductLanguage]" Component_="InstallLanguage"/>

and there is also an option in AdvancedInstaller to "Automatically use the previous version's language if installed", could this be possibly used by running CustomAction on execute of the installer and then overriding the setting wherever you are storing it especially if its in the registry?

Eusebiu

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

I'm afraid that I do not fully understand your question. Can you please give me more details (maybe exemplify)?

Best regards,
Eusebiu

smljoju

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Ok I think nevermind the previous question. From using the "Display Language selection" option, I now switched to "Automatically use system language for installation". Windows is set to use display language "French (France)" and on my build languages I have "French (France)" selected as one of the options. But when I try to run installer then it still shows English text. Does this mean that the language detection issue you mentioned is not just a bug on the language selection dropdown but a bug in the language detection in general?

Eusebiu

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi,

Yes, it does not matter if the package tries to detect the system language through the language selection dialog or using the "Automatically use system language for installation" option, on some systems that language is not detected correctly.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

smljoju

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:39 pm

may we know what type of systems are these? For example I'm trying this out on a Win8.1 x64 system, what other systems are affected by this issue?

smljoju

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Isn't there any workaround for this? for example if we will be able to detect language on our own and then "pass if off" somehow to the installer?

Eusebiu

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 am

Hi,

As far as I know, these are the systems which have more languages set as their display languages. You can check this in "Control Panel -> Region and Languages", "Administrative" tab, "Copy settings..." button.
Isn't there any workaround for this? for example if we will be able to detect language on our own and then "pass if off" somehow to the installer?
In order to achieve this you need to pass the language to the MSI package before launching it, so this can only be done from a bootstrapper. A similar scenario was discussed on the "Customizable Language Dialog" thread.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Dan

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.2 of Advanced Installer released on August 13th, 2018.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”