HadleyHope

Updater for Multiple Builds

How do you configure the updater to download a installer for a specific build when you have multiple builds.

We have set the updater configuration file to a URL, and use the manual update application execution using the standard Advanced Installer mechanism.

We currently have only one build and everything works fine, however we are going to shortly create a second build/installer for the application. One build will include all features of the application and one will be a Lite version and only include a subset of features.

Both builds will have the same version number and application exe and same name, it is only the number of features that differs between each build, both builds will always be created at the same time and will share the release notes.

How can I configure the installer/updater so that it downloads the applicable build, so that if Lite has been previously installed the updater will download the new Lite build and not the standard build installer.

Thanks Martin
Dan

Re: Updater for Multiple Builds

Hi Martin,

Please note that you can use a property in the Updates Configuration File URL field from the Updater page.

Set this property in the Install Parameters view and assign a different value for each build. The property will have a different value in each build, pointing to different updates configuration files accordingly.

Let us know if you need any help.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Justin

Hi Dan,
As the updater for multiple builds I have two problem:
1. I need two build have auto updater feature, but only one build can include updater.exe after installation. How do I add the updater.exe into another build folder.
2. As you mention that we can use property to indicate different URL for different build, but I could not set the same name property for different URL with different build. Even the updater page does not allow let me set different property for different build.

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Justin
Catalin

Hello Justin,

From what I can see, you have solved your problem:

Updater for multiple builds problems

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”