ChrisJ

Compatibility

I have created a Setup.EXE installation file, using Advanced Installer.
90% of my users run it fine.
But the other 10% get the message: "This application cannot be installed on systems older than Windows XP SP3 32-bit or XP Sp2 64-bit." ... even though they are on Windows 7 or later.

I have found that the solution is to ask the user to:
1) Right-click on the installation file “Setup.EXE”
2) Choose “Properties” then click on “Compatibility”
3) Un-tick “Run this program in compatibility mode for”

But the question is ... why is “Run this program in compatibility mode for” ticked for Setup.EXE in the first place ? And is there a way within the Advanced Installer settings to get Setup.EXE to ignore this option if it is ticked ?

May seem like a small thing, but it means that 10% of our customers are reporting problems installing, which isn't good.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
Dan

Re: Compatibility

Hi Chris,
why is “Run this program in compatibility mode for” ticked for Setup.EXE in the first place ?
Please note that no .EXE installation packages created with Advanced Installer should have this option enabled. Can you please check this once again?
And is there a way within the Advanced Installer settings to get Setup.EXE to ignore this option if it is ticked ?
No, there is no setting in Advanced Installer to ignore the related option, if it is checked. You will have to ask your users to disable it manually.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ChrisJ

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply ... yes, some of our users do find that the Setup.EXE created by Advanced Installer has “Run this program in compatibility mode for” ticked.
Most don't, but some do ... we've had a couple more customers report the problem this week.

Do you have any idea what causes it ? Is it a setting on the customer's computer, or ..?

Many thanks for any help you can offer,
ChrisJ

Hello all,

We're still have this problem with “Run this program in compatibility mode for” being ticked on some people's computers as soon as they download our install program Setup.EXE (over the internet) onto their PC ... we had another one this morning. Our Setup.EXE then doesn't run.

Is anyone else having this problem ?
Dan

Hi Chris,

We did not encountered this problem before. We do not have any insights what can cause this behaviour.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
vijeshbhandary

Dear Dan,

We have been using Advanced installer for quite a time now and have not face this issue till now. But in the last few weeks we have been getting calls from clients regarding being unable to install the application unless it is run in compatibility mode.

Please note that this is not for all , seems to be occurring only in a few systems and i was unable to narrow down a particular system as they were all having diffrent windows OS.

Do you have any idea on what might be causing this.
Daniel

Hello,

Just to make sure we fully understand your scenario. You are saying that your end-users can install your setup package only when they check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option? Our previous user (Chris) reported that this option should be unchecked in order to successfully install the setup.

If you are facing the same issue as Chris did you should try to find a test case when the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option is incorrectly set. When you build setup packages with Advanced Installer, the above flag is not set. So, the flag must be set after the setup package build operation, somewhere during the process of setup delivery to your end-users. Can you please check how your end-users get in possession of your setup package. What step do they follow?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
faizanmanzoor123

Im facing this issue also.
My Exe runs on windows OS e.g( window 7, window 8, window 10), but won't work on Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 unless or untill I check the compatibility mode manually.
If I won't check the compatibility mode then MSI package run after a long time.

Regards

Faizan Manzoor
Catalin

Hello Faizan,

This seems like a strange behavior, indeed.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following:

- a copy of the .AIP file that was used to build the setup.

- a download link of the setup that reproduces this behavior.

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”