randy

Web Deploy Issue

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:33 pm

I’m currently evaluating AdvancedInstaller, but I’ve run into an issue trying to install an ASP.net application using Web Deploy. The installer has IIS, .Net and Web Deploy as a prerequisite but it fails when doing a Test-Publish. Here is a small portion of the log:

IIS Web Deploy Publish execution log:
IIS Web Deploy publish Error log:
Restore-WDPackage : Site 'DoranScales' does not exist. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId= ... _NOT_EXIST.
At C:\Users\randyh\AppData\Local\Temp\pss6809.ps1:81 char:3
+ Restore-WDPackage @testParams
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) , Deplo ymentDetailedException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ERROR_SITE_DOES_NOT_EXIST,Microsoft.Web.Deployme nt.PowerShell.SyncPackage

Non-Invasive Test-Publish failed!

MSI (s) (68!94) [17:29:08:159]: Product: Doran Scales Selecta Software -- Error 4033. An error has occurred during the IIS Web Deploy configuration process for package "DSInventory".

Do you want to skip this package and continue the installation ?

Trying to get 'name' property of 'site' element.
Found property name; has VT=8 and Value='Default Web Site'.

MSI (s) (68!94) [17:29:10:158]: Product: Doran Scales Selecta Software -- Error 4020. There was an error during the IIS configuration process.
Your original IIS configuration will be restored.

The target is a VM running 32 bit Windows 8.1. Importing the Web Deploy package inside of IIS successfully creates the web site.

Thanks

randy
Attachments
Install.zip
(17.11KiB)Downloaded 725 times

Daniel

Re: Web Deploy Issue

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:35 am

Hello Randy and welcome to our forums,

I truly apologize for my delayed reply but we were a bit busy lately. We had a release on last Thursday.

I'm not quite sure why this happens. Can you please forwards us to support at advancedinstaller dot com the .aip (project file) so we can investigate and test its settings on our side?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

rdavisunr

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Was this issue every solved?

I am seeing the exact same error with AI 13.1 trying to deploy web deploy packages. I have attached my log file:
AI_log.log
(396.79KiB)Downloaded 720 times
The target server has Web Deploy 3.5 (for hosting servers) and Powershell 4.0

I would be happy to start a new thread as well...

Daniel

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:07 am

Hello,

Can you please send us to support at advancedinstaller dot com the AIP (project file) and if possible a download link to your web deploy package so we can fully test and investigate this on our side?

Also, you can have a look over our "Web Deploy on IIS and Microsoft Azure" video tutorial.

All the best,
Daniel

rdavisunr

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:56 am

Daniel

Thanks for the response.

I was able to work through the issue...

In my case, I was attempting to install the Web Deploy package without first creating a new "Web Application" under the default web site. It was not obvious that this was required because Web Deploy will happily create one on its own if you invoke msdeploy directly (outside of Advanced Installer). The existing docs sort of imply that behavior, but it could be more clear.

Anyway, after I worked through that issue. I also had a problem with failures that happened as a result of the MsDepSvc not running (or being altogether missing). In those cases, it wasn't obvious from the verbose installer logs that was why the install was failing...

Could I put in a feature request to improve the logging for the case where the install fails due to MsDepSvc not being reachable?

Also, it would be really cool if there was a way to gain access to the default values of the parameters from the Web Deploy package. For example, those default values could be used as the default values for input controls in the AI forms. Is there a way to achieve that?

Lastly, are there any examples that show use of the Destination Settings for Web Deploy packages? The docs are a little light on details for these settings...

Thanks very much!

Daniel

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your detailed feedback in what regards our Web Deploy feature.
In my case, I was attempting to install the Web Deploy package without first creating a new "Web Application" under the default web site. It was not obvious that this was required because Web Deploy will happily create one on its own if you invoke msdeploy directly (outside of Advanced Installer). The existing docs sort of imply that behavior, but it could be more clear.
Indeed the target IIS entity (web site, web app, etc) to which the web deploy is targeted must exist before installation. This is our current implementation. However, I've discussed with our development team about this and they admitted that we could also create, in case it doesn't already exist, the target web deploy web site. Hopefully this improvement will be added in the future. Thank you for your suggestion. Also, we will add a clear info in our user guide in what regards this behavior.
Anyway, after I worked through that issue. I also had a problem with failures that happened as a result of the MsDepSvc not running (or being altogether missing). In those cases, it wasn't obvious from the verbose installer logs that was why the install was failing...

Could I put in a feature request to improve the logging for the case where the install fails due to MsDepSvc not being reachable?
We have added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. We will notify you when this will be out.
Also, it would be really cool if there was a way to gain access to the default values of the parameters from the Web Deploy package. For example, those default values could be used as the default values for input controls in the AI forms. Is there a way to achieve that?
This request was also labeled as valid by our development team and maybe we will consider it in a future version of our application too. We will update this thread as soon as this will be available.
Lastly, are there any examples that show use of the Destination Settings for Web Deploy packages? The docs are a little light on details for these settings...
Unfortunately not. I've added this request on our work planning and we will get back to you as soon as we have any updates about these settings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Daniel

rdavisunr

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for evaluating and considering my suggestions! I look forward to seeing them in a future version.

Thanks,
Rob

Daniel

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 am

You're always welcome Rob.

We will update this thread as soon as we any improvements are made.

All the best,
Daniel

Catalin

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:57 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 18.8 of Advanced Installer, released on October 20th, 2021.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”