Knoxie

Installer no longer uninstalls old version

We haven't made any changes to the installer but old versions of our program are not being uninstalled and I do not understand why. Any tips on what to look for? Where to look?

Uninstall does work on its own, just not when updating to a new version.
Daniel

Re: Installer no longer uninstalls old version

Hello,

This may happen if you somehow changed the UpgradeCode GUID. Can you make sure your old and new version of your AIP (project file) have the same UpgardeCode GUID? Just go to "Product Details page -> Product IDs tab" and check the GUID of the Upgrade Code.

Also, to further investigate this please send us the AIPs (project files) of your old and new product version and a verbose log of the upgrade installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Knoxie

The UID has not changed. I have included the Installer.aip file.

edit: The AIP has not changed at all besides build numbers.
Attachments
Installer.aip
(81.99 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Daniel

Hello,

Are you able to open the sent project in Advanced Installer? I'm afraid the project you sent me is corrupted therefore we cannot test it. Please send us a valid setup project which we can use to replicate the upgrade issue.

Also, I'm not sure how your previous sent project reached this corrupted state, but it will be very useful if you could find a pattern which generates such a project and forward us. Also, if you manually edited the AIP project content (e.g. using a text editor tool), then please note this is not recommended at all.

All the best,
Daniel
Knoxie

Sorry about the corrupt file, I did try manually editing the file.

Here is the un-edited file.
Mover7Suite.aip
(81.66 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Knoxie

I also found out that if i try to uninstall from command line (installer.exe /x) I get an error:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
Daniel

Hello,

Regarding the error you get when trying to uninstall the EXE setup with /x command, this may happen if the related EXE setup was built with an Advanced Installer version prior to AI 10.0. There was an Advanced Installer issue which was fixed starting with AI 10.0. Also, please note that the correct uninstall command when using EXE setup should be like this:

Code: Select all

Setup.exe /x // /l*v uninstall.log
Regarding the old version not being uninstalled during upgrade, can you please make sure that when you change the ProductVersion in the new AIP you also choose to change the ProductCode GUID too? Otherwise your new setup package will be built to be patch compatible. Please take a look on our "Changing the Product Version" article.

All the best,
Daniel
Knoxie

Thanks for the help. I've been using my ant build script to also build the installer. I tried building with the application instead and when changing the version got this message:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (148.38 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
I'm assuming this is what the real issue is.
Daniel

Hello,

Indeed, the fourth field of the ProductVersion is ignored by Windows Installer and in this case the product will be installed side by side. It seems when you change the product version using our command line support (/SetVersion) the related warning is not logged by our "/SetVersion" command line. I've added an imrpovement in our todo list so our "/SetVersion" command line output a warning when only the fourth field is changed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

All the best,
Daniel
Knoxie

I really need to be able to use a 4th digit. Is there any workarounds to be able to upgrade correctly while only changing the 4th digit? Can I force a package/product code change but then keep the same first 3 digits?

Edit: Found the article on custom upgrade rules and was able to solve the problem. Thank you for your previous help.
Daniel

You're always welcome.

All the best,
Daniel
Dan

Hello,

This was fixed in version 14.2 of Advanced Installer released on July 26th, 2017.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”