psharpe

IIS Enable Forms Authentication

Hi,

Im trying to enable Forms Auth on IIS during installation of a Web app on IIS 7, cant find how to do this in AI. Cant any one point me int eh right direction?
I can find Anonymous, Window, Basic etc but not Forms.

Thanks for any help
Daniel

Re: IIS Enable Forms Authentication

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I'm afraid we do not have out of the box support to enable IIS Forms Authentication. I've added this improvement on our todo list and hopefully it will be considered by our development team in the future. Thank you for your suggestion. We will update this thread when the improvement will be out.

Until then, as a workaround you can create your own custom action which launch appcmd with a specific command line to enable Forms Authentication.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Daniel

Hello,

As an addendum to my previous reply, after I spoke with our development team it seems, as another workaround to enable the Forms Authentication you can use our "Custom Properties" support.

Just go to "IIS" page, select your web site and select "Custom Properties" in the combo box. Here add a new "Attribute Value" like this:
  • Section: system.web/authentication
    Name: mode
    Value: Forms
Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
psharpe

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the guidance your last suggestion worked perfectly and was very simple to implement.

Thanks
Daniel

You're always welcome.

All the best,
Daniel
elou

Hello,
I'm also needing to activate the
form
and the
windows
Authentication.
When I set the parameters as describe the complete IIS Installation (include other AppPool) will be damaged and nothing works anymore with IIS.
note: The IIS feature will also be installed per prerequisite (windows feature).

In the Option chooser, there is only a ticketCompatibilityMode and forms can not be selected.
Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-19 um 10.45.43.png
Tested with AI 14.7/14.8

Regards, Éric.
Daniel

Hello Éric,

To enable the forms you should just go to "IIS" page, select your web site and select "Custom Properties" in the combo box. Here add a new "Attribute Value" like this:
  • Section: system.web/authentication
    Name: mode
    Value: Forms
For windows auth, we have a dedicated option. It is not necessary to use the custom properties tab. Just select the "Authentication" tab in the right pane and check the "Allow Windows authentication" option.

If this is still of no help please give us more details about the issue you are facing with, maybe you can even isolate the error in a small sample.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”