BenKell

Advice on Building an Installer Comprised of Multiple Installations

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Good Afternoon Guys -

I'm attempting to build a single MSI installer with the goal of simplifying a currently complex manual installation procedure. I'm hoping this is something that's possible and if so - worth time doing. I own an Architect license so have all options available. Below are things I would need to include / have the installer perform in order to be successful.
- Uninstall Citrix Receiver using the string "CitrixReceiver.exe" /uninstall /silent"
- Install Citrix Receiver using its EXE with a few parameters
- Install an MSI with a lengthy string
- Apply an MSP with default msiexec string
- Kill running processes via batch file
- Install Registry keys (easy)
- Copy Files overwriting others (easy)
If needed or it simplifies things, I can exclude the first two strings pertaining to Citrix Receiver

Extra Credit
There is one more registry (.reg) file which is to be installed, but only if a specific device ID is detected as being attached to the workstation. I know that Advanced installer can perform actions based on specific variables, but didn't know if it could be tied to a device ID being detected.

Thanks Guys!

Daniel

Re: Advice on Building an Installer Comprised of Multiple Installations

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:45 am

Hello,

You can try to fulfill your requirements using the following approaches:
- Uninstall Citrix Receiver using the string "CitrixReceiver.exe" /uninstall /silent"
1. Add a search (CITRIX_EXISTS) in "Search" page which will check if Citrix Receiver is already installed; you should look for a detection criteria which is always fulfilled when Citrix is installed and is not fullfilled when Citrix doesn't exists
2. In "Custom Actions" page add a "Launch attached file" custom action with sequence which will launch the Citrix Receiver with the desired command
- Install Citrix Receiver using its EXE with a few parameters
This can be done using another "Launch attached file" custom action or by simply adding the Citrix Receiver EXE as a prerequisite to your proejct.
- Install an MSI with a lengthy string
- Apply an MSP with default msiexec string
If the patch needs to be applied to the above MSI you can install them at once by adding the MSI as a prerequisite and the MSP as an additional file of the prerequisite. In the "Install Command Lines" fields you should use the following command to apply the patch to the MSI:

Code: Select all

PATCH=patchName.msp
Please take a look on the "PATCH property" article.

If the patch target an MSI which is not deployed with your setup package, then you can add it in "Files and Folders" page and install it using a "Launch file" custom action. The custom action should be added as a custom action with sequence after "Install Execution Stage -> Finish Execution" action group and should have the "Wait for custom action to finish before proceeding" and "Wait for return code at the end of the sequence" options unchecked.
- Kill running processes via batch file
To launch a BAT file you can use our "Launch file" custom action type.
- Install Registry keys (easy)
- Copy Files overwriting others (easy)
For this you can use our "Registry" and "Files and Folders" pages.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise please give us more details about your scenario.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ebo

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am

Is there already build a .msi installer for the Citrix Receiver?
We are really struggling with building a msi installer using "Repackage Installation", every scenario we are using will fail using the msi

If anyone have build the Citrix Receiver msi already, it will be get a warm welcome when sharing...
Using Advanced Installer Architect (Licenced)

Daniel

Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately we do not have any such samples available at the present moment.

If we will have time to investigate and analyze this scenario we will update this thread in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”