jstuardo

Steps to create a patch

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:05 am

Hello,

I need to create a patch that only installs an upgraded version of an EXE file and 2 DLL's files. Besides, it runs a SQL Script to add a column to a table. Is that simple, but I cannot figure out how to do it. I have read a lot of documents here, but all of them make me get lost so I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can you point me to a good tutorial on this matter or give me some clues?

For example, I got stuck when I tried to add the images. By upgraded image I think it is the MSI package that copies the 3 files to a target location and run the SQL Script. By target image I think it is the original MSI file. Here is the first problem. My original package is an EXE installer, not MSI. So I think I am not in the right direction.

Can you give me some hints?

thanks
Jaime

Eusebiu

Re: Steps to create a patch

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 am

Hi Jaime,

In order to create a patch you can follow the steps from the "Authoring a Windows Installer patch" tutorial.

Yes, the Upgraded and Target images are just as you mentioned. The Upgraded image is the new package that contains the additional files while the Target image is the original one.

If one of your packages is EXE and not MSI, you can use the "/extract" command to extract the MSI package from it and use it to create the patch.

Just let me know if you need more details.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

sanjays

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am

Hi Team,

I have the same requirements. Can you please guide me step by step?

Eusebiu

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi,

Did you follow the steps from the "Authoring a Windows Installer patch" tutorial? Please make sure that you respect all the patch rules in order to successfully create a patch. Also, the Windows SDK must be installed on your machine for this to work.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

sanjays

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:31 am

Ok, thanks for the updates.

Eusebiu

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:20 pm

You're welcome. Glad to assist.