ronaldeyer

Upgrading to the lastest version of Advanced Installer

I am currently using 13.3 version of Advanced Installer and I would like to move to the latest version of Advanced Installer(13.7). However, our product is currently deployed with AI 13.3 version. When switching from one version of Advanced Installer to another version, can I apply 13.7 patches onto existing 13.3 patches/installations? Can I apply 13.7 modification via Upgrades? Is there any documentation of the do's/don'ts when switching between AI versions?
Bogdan

Re: Upgrading to the lastest version of Advanced Installer

Hi and welcome to our forums,
can I apply 13.7 patches onto existing 13.3 patches/installations?
Yes, you can. However, we recommend creating images for patches and the patch itself with the same version.

You can keep version 13.3 side by side with 13.7, this is supported by us, and if you need to create a patch for the old version deployed with 13.3 you use that
version to create the upgrade image MSI for the patch and build it. Also, apply the same fixes in the new AIP that you maintain with 13.7. (merging is not supported,
you need to manually update both projects)
Can I apply 13.7 modification via Upgrades?
I assume you are asking if changes made in your installer with version 13.7 of Advanced INstaller can be deployed as a major upgrade for your application? Yes, you can,
no matter which version of AI you are using, the package GUIDs that control the upgrade process are correctly maintained.
? Is there any documentation of the do's/don'ts when switching between AI versions?
We don't have a documentation for this process as it is straightforward. We recommend you upgrade Advanced Installer with enough
time before your scheduled release, so you can test the new package appropriately. VMs are recommended for speeding up testing.

As, I said you can have both versions of AI side by side, so it is easy to compare the results or to go back to the previous version if you hit any problems.

Of course, a file versions system (GIT, SVN ...) should be used, so you can access the AIP file at any stage you need, especially required for building patches,
but I assume you are already using some system for this.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”