codemonk3y

merging 2 installers that uninstalls both on update

We currently have a primary application (product A) that uses an Advanced Installer msi and the update service.
We also have a secondary application (product B) on some machines that has an msi build from Visual Studio.

All versions of product B use the same upgrade code, but there are about 15 different product codes and I have no idea which one a user has.

I am adding product B into the product A installer, but how do I get the product A installer to consider both an upgrade?
Our update does a full uninstall then reinstalls the new version. I need it to uninstall product A and product B, then install the new product that would merge them into 1 product and upgrade code.

Thanks
Bogdan

Re: merging 2 installers that uninstalls both on update

Hi,

Each MSI will know to handle the removal of the old version, if the upgradecode is the same, as you said. The only condition you need to make sure is followed, is for the latest
MSI packages you deploy to have a higher version number than any of the old ones.

The higher version number will trigger the automatic removal of the old MSI. You can test that even by manually running each of the MSI packages, on a machine where an older version of that package exists.

Important, only the first 3 fields of the version number are considered by Windows Installer when comparing the versions of two MSI packages.

If the version criteria is fulfilled, you simply need to add the B msi as a feature-based prerequisites inside the project that build the A msi package.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”