louwho

An Installer by any other name?

How do you find Advanced Installer jobs? I did a search of 'advanced installer' in both Dice, and Indeed, and came up with HVAC, Windows (building) installers, cable installers, etc. etc. What is the buzz word, is there a different name to search on? I wanted to see if there was much of a call for this experience.

I am an unemployed InstallShield developer in the Boston area...InstallShield (except for packaging jobs, and that is nationwide), seems to be dead. I started looking for Advanced Installer jobs when I saw that this page...https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cr ... o-2017-rc/, said..."Xamarin for Visual Studio 2017 can not be installed at the same time as Xamarin for Visual Studio 2015/2013 as a result of Visual Studio 2017 moving away from MSI packaging toward utilization of the Visual Studio Installer system." Is this the end of MSI packaging? Why did Microsoft go this way?

I have not yet (but will be looking), looked at the Learning posting, to see about learning the product. For anyone who has already made the transition, any comments, advice, etc.?

InstallShield developer is part of Admin Studio, is there a Advanced Installer studio?
Bogdan

Re: An Installer by any other name?

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Starting with Visual Studio 2017 Microsoft has indeed introduced some changes in its setup package, but these are not related to any "end of the MSI". To see a detailed explanation of the changes MSFT did on their VS installer packages, I recommend this blog post.

The Windows Installer technology is the most dominant packaging technology for Windows desktop. Advanced Installer, IS, Wix Toolset and many other smaller ISVs provide tools that extend this tech.

I don't understand why you "advertise" yourself as an IS developer. The tool does not matter, if you know how a MSI works you can build it with any tool. I can assure you the industry is looking (remote and onsite) for experts on application packaging. To make yourself easier to find by the possible clients I recommend you set up yourself with a StackOverflow.com account (if you don't have one), set up mail notifications for the related Windows Installer/MSI tags, and start answering. This will help you build a public CV, trust from the community and you can also place your contact details in your profile description, to mention you're available for hiring.

Plus, you'll get to learn new things about tools that you haven't used, like Advanced Installer and so on. To learn Advanced Installer much faster, after passing through our tutorials, you can even try to answer the questions asked by our users on these forums. Who knows, maybe you'll even find somebody that's looking for an expert to hire.

If you can start a blog on this, it is even better, but this is harder.
InstallShield developer is part of Admin Studio, is there a Advanced Installer studio
The Architect edition from Advanced Installer is the one offering features similar with AdminStudio, related to application packaging.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
louwho

That was good information.

Still need some advice as to how to find posted Advanced Installer jobs on the big boards. Is there a keyword to use?
Daniel

Hello,

We do not use a predefined tag for this posts but you can try to search for the "consultant" or "consultancy" keywords.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”