visualsi

Encrypted passwords

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 pm

We have a need to store encrypted passwords in config files. The product must have anticipated this need because it provided us with the ability to create a text box with the "Password" property set to "True". The problem is that when the value stored in it is used (in connect strings, registry values, log files and other places), it gets written out as it was typed, for all to see. There should be two ways to have it output: as typed and encrypted (that must have been the intent if "Password" was set to "True").

Someone understood that it was important to shield the value from being seen, but that privacy only lasts for a few seconds, and then the value can be seen by anyone.

Yes, we could write custom code, but this is very basic functionality. And, I've seen that many people have asked for this functionality over the years, so I am not alone.

Many thanks.

Dan

Re: Encrypted passwords

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Hello,

This issue is still on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Thank you for your understanding.

In the meantime, a solution is to use a custom property and custom action. It will need to read custom properties, encrypt their values and update them in order to be used by the installer. Please take a look on a topic with the same issue "Help,Write configuration text encryption", it might be useful to solve your problem.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

visualsi

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to get this to move to a faster moving "to do list"? Back in 2012, someone named Cosmin said "I added this feature on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version". So, this has been on the "to do list" for five years now.

Adding code to installers is no small issue for us, especially when that code involves included libraries of its own. We use your product to make installers for several of our products, so this installer code would become a new project in itself. We would now need to maintain its libraries inside each of the other installers and distribute them with our products. We now need to make sure those distributed libraries (needed by the script) are placed in the correct place, do not collide with anything else, etc.. It's not as straightforward as "just writing a little script and including it". Nothing ever is.

My guess is, that if something has been on the "to do list" for five years, nobody at AI sees it as important. Perhaps if any other users (other than me) sees this as important, you can comment here.

Dan

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, since these are the only requests the improvement was postponed due to low priority. However, I increased its' priority and hopefully it will be available soon.

We'll update this thread as soon as this option will be available in Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Dan

Dan

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 14.6 of Advanced Installer released on February 19th, 2018.

Best regards,
Dan

divyaniP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 am

Hello,

As the facility of encryption password is available now in AI. Will you please elaborate on the functionality?

I have set the password property True.

What else can I do to encrypt this password before writing it in my App.config file?

Catalin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Hello,
I have set the password property True.

What else can I do to encrypt this password before writing it in my App.config file?
Did you just set the "Password" attribute to "True" for your control?

If that is the case, please note that setting that attribute will hide the password from the UI (e.g. using "*" instead of a normal character). However, when written in the config file, it will be written in plain text.

If you want to encrypt it, please proceed as it follows:

- go to "Install Parameters" page

- under "Properties" section, check the "Show properties with empty values or used in dialog controls" option

- select the property assigned to your control and double click on it

- in the "Edit property" dialog, check the "Secure Property" option and add a "Comment"

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

afrings

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:14 am

Hello,

I am currently struggeling with a similar problem. Is there any build in possibility to decrypt the secure property and use it during the installation process? I am trying to store credentials of a user in the registry and use them to start a windows service. But as soon as I mark the property as "secure" the windows service can not be started and I think the reason is because the password is still encrypted. I also don't want to prompt the user for the credentials each time the installer is executed. I also want to avoid custom actions if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
André

Catalin

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Hello André and welcome to our forums,

I have already discussed this with another user. For more information, please have a look over the following thread:

Applying patch is changing service start type

Please note that there is a second page where the explanation continues.

Hope this will help!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”