Bleile Datentechnik

Big issue with WebInstaller and pre-install requisite

Hi,

I have a strange issue:
I have an AI project which covers two builds (default: single msi, webinstaller: exe, with msi and one archive per feature).
As prerequisite i have added the Visual C++ Redistributable package and configured it the pre-install section, with the install condition: Always install (just for debugging)

When i build the webinstaller configuration, AI generates the following files:
my_project.exe (webinstaller, bootstrapper, this file is about 9mb in size)
my_project.msi
MainFeature.cab

All good, the exe file is big! So i assumed, that the c++ redist packages is included in it.
But wait, if i execute the exe file, no full UI of the bootstrapper is displayed, nor the installation of the prerequisites is handled.
The webinstaller ignores the c++ redist pre-requisite for no reason, it only downloads the msi from the configured URL and installs it - thats it.

Is this a advanced installer bug?

What i need:
I need a webinstaller, which downloads a msi from a configured URL and install the c++ redits package before the main installation package,
because the main installation must start a service and the application to start requires the visual c++ redists.
mihai.petcu

Re: Big issue with WebInstaller and pre-install requisite

Dear Bleile,

You need a single web installer build configured in the following way:
Go to "Prerequisites" page and add Visual C++ predefined prerequisite. You will be prompted if you want to download the prerequisite next to your project and include it in your package. If you Click yes the webinstaller exe's size will be larger because it will include the Visual C++ prerequisite size. If you want a small webinstaller file, you should click No. In this case, the prerequisites will be installed from a predefined URL (from Microsoft's site).

If you want the prerequisite to be installed from your server, you can go to the Visual C++ Prerequisite in Setup Files tab and edit the Main Setup File URL. In this case you need to copy the Prerequisite Setup on the server along with the MSI file.

Hope this helps!
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Bleile Datentechnik

Hi,

I did it your way:
1. Added WebInstaller build
2. Added prerequisite to pre-install section (Include requisite in package)
3. I get a nice webinstaller with size of ~9mb

When i execute the setup, the webInstaller ignores the prerequisite, it only downloads the msi for the main installation and starts it.
I have the prerequisite configured for "always install" but it won't be installed.

What is wrong!? I need to fix this asap. It is very urgent!
mihai.petcu

Dear Bleile,

We answered your e-mail, please let's continue the discussion there to avoid duplicates.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”