Moritz30

Build installer with custom data via PHP or ASPX

We basically want to do something like support.me where a user enters an ID and an installer is created and downloaded when they click a button. That installer includes the ID as value that is either written to the registry or a file. We own the Enterprise Edition of Advanced Installer. Is it possible to do that?
Eusebiu

Re: Build installer with custom data via PHP or ASPX

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

I apologize for the delayed replay.

In order to achieve this, you need to do the most part of the work from your PHP script. For example, when the user enters the ID and clicks the button, the PHP script will call a BAT file that edits an Advanced Installer project by setting a property to that ID.

Then it builds that project also from command line and downloads the resulted package on the user's machine. The project should be pre-configured to use that property as a value of a registry entry that will be created during the installation of the package.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Moritz30

Eusebiu wrote:Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

I apologize for the delayed replay.

In order to achieve this, you need to do the most part of the work from your PHP script. For example, when the user enters the ID and clicks the button, the PHP script will call a BAT file that edits an Advanced Installer project by setting a property to that ID.

Then it builds that project also from command line and downloads the resulted package on the user's machine. The project should be pre-configured to use that property as a value of a registry entry that will be created during the installation of the package.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Do I need to activate Advanced Installer on the server in order to build and change properties of Enterprise Projects? I don't really wanna waste activations for that (I heard you can only use it for 5 PCs)
Eusebiu

Hi,

Yes, you need to install and register Advanced Installer on the server, so it can be used by your script to build the personalized packages. Indeed, you can install Advanced Installer on up to five machines as long as you are the only person using it, but you can activate it as many times as you want on those machines.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Moritz30

Eusebiu wrote:Hi,

Yes, you need to install and register Advanced Installer on the server, so it can be used by your script to build the personalized packages. Indeed, you can install Advanced Installer on up to five machines as long as you are the only person using it, but you can activate it as many times as you want on those machines.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
This could be a problem because we have quite some servers that will create custom builds :/
Eusebiu

Hi,

If you want to register the same license on multiple servers, you can purchase a Floating license, however this license cannot be used simultaneously by more users at the same time.

Doing all the work server-side may be very resources consuming. Why don't you try to generate the unique ID and write it to the registry right from your application, after the user installed it on the machine?

Or, you can create a custom action that will generate the unique ID, so it will be written to the registry during the installation. If you want to retrieve that ID on the server, you can send it with the "Send install information to your web server" custom action.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Moritz30

If you want to register the same license on multiple servers, you can purchase a Floating license, however this license cannot be used simultaneously by more users at the same time.

Doing all the work server-side may be very resources consuming. Why don't you try to generate the unique ID and write it to the registry right from your application, after the user installed it on the machine?

Or, you can create a custom action that will generate the unique ID, so it will be written to the registry during the installation. If you want to retrieve that ID on the server, you can send it with the "Send install information to your web server" custom action.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
The ID is associated with an user even before they download the application.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Another solution that I can think of is to request the same ID from the user twice. Once he enters it when downloads the package and once when he installs that package.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Moritz30

Another solution that I can think of is to request the same ID from the user twice. Once he enters it when downloads the package and once when he installs that package.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
So basically no solution without wasting money on more licenses?
Eusebiu

I'm afraid that I have no other idea. The last solution is, indeed, to purchase the number of licenses necessary to cover all your servers.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”