denmage

SQLServer CE not installing

I have recently changed the installer on a program I am selling from ClickOnce to Advanced Installer. However, we found shortly after releasing our latest update to our customers that the prerequisite for SQLServer CE 4.0 SP1 is not installing. Customers who previously had our software installed on their computers are working fine, because ClickOnce had previously installed SQLServer CE on their computers. But new customers go through the entire installation process and cannot run our software. Upon further examination SQLServer CE is not found on their machines. Manually, downloading and installing SQLServer CE from Microsoft's website solves the problem, but this is a very unprofessional solution.

For the past week, I have built and rebuilt my installer, changing the prerequisite portion of the install to download or use files from disk. I have clicked on different settings (Run as Administrator, Always Install, etc.). Nothing seems to work. Is Advanced Installer unable to download and install this prerequisite? Please help, this is a game stopper!

Denis
Eusebiu

Re: SQLServer CE not installing

Hi Denis and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Did you try to add the "SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1" predefined prerequisite from the "Prerequisites" page, "Packages" view of your project? It is already configured and should be installed without problems.

If it still doesn't work, can you please send me your project to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate it?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
denmage

Thank you for responding Eusebiu. I have been using the predefined prerequisites. But to no avail. I have sent the project to you, as requested.

Denis
Eusebiu

Hi Denis,

I looked over your project and it looks correctly configured. Also, I tested it and the SQL Server prerequisite was installed correctly on a Windows 7 x64 operating system. However, on a Windows 10 machine, the prerequisite is not installed because this OS is not supported, hence it is not selected in the "Supported Windows Versions" list from the "Install Conditions" tab of the prerequisite.

You can see the prerequisite's requirements on the "Microsoft® SQL Server® Compact 4.0 SP1" page. Do you encounter installation problems on the supported operating systems, too? Can you test it on multiple clean machines?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
denmage

Hi Eusebiu,

Thank you very much for your help. That was just the solution I was looking for. I knew it had to be something simple. My installer is working correctly now that I have included all available operating systems in the install conditions for the prerequisites.

Denis
Eusebiu

You're welcome Denis. I'm glad you got this working.

Just let us know anytime you need assistance.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”