clint

Do not register ActiveX Com Component

Hi AI Team,

I have a question concerning ActiveX Component registration:

There is a older version of a MS ActiveX component in a Merge file (supplied by MS) which I am installing into the Windows\SysWOW64 folder and have marked it to Auto Register.

I need to use this older version, because a newer version is buggy.

However, if a newer version is already installed on the system by a different, unknown installation, then I want my application to still use the older version, without replacing and disrupting the newer version.

In the case where a newer version is already installed, I am manually installing the older version into the Exe folder, and am not registering it with regsrv32, and have add a manifest in order tell the system to use the older version in the application folder, and then once this is done, the application uses this older ocx without affecting the newer one in the System folder.

All of this works fine, when manually installed.

My question is: If instead of manually installing the older ocx, I install this older OCX a second time into the Exe folder using AI, and do not mark it to Auto Register, will the installer leave it alone and not register it as a dll/ocx component, or will still it want/try to register is anyways?

Thank you,
clint

Edit: Corrected spelling and cleaned up in order to make more understandable
Last edited by clint on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorin

Re: Do not register ActiveX Com Component

Hello,
If using AI installation I install this older OCX a second time into the Exe folder, and do not mark it to Auto Register, will the installer leave it alone and not register it as a com object, or will it want/try to register is anyways?
If you don't select "Auto register file (DLL, OCX, etc)" option, the file will be installed as a regular file, without registration. So, considering the manual installation steps you should not use the auto registration option indeed.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
clint

Hi Sorin,
Thank you, that is the assurance I needed to hear!

Best regards,
clint
Sorin

Hello,

You are welcome! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”