jstuardo

How to know if Excel is installed before installation

Hello...

I need to know if Excel 2016 is installed before the application can be installed. The problem is when I go to Search module, I can only search for a registry key value, however, to detect if Excel is installed, I need only to search for a folder, such as HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel but Advanced Installer does not allow me to choose it.

How can I do it?

Thanks
Jaime
Sorin

Re: How to know if Excel is installed before installation

Hello Jaime,

In order to search if a registry key exists you could use our "Extended Search" property. Just go to "Searches" page, right click on "target Computer" -> "New Extended Search". In the Criteria section select "Registry key exists".

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jstuardo

Thank you, I have done it, however, I cannot make it work. The installer should allow to install the application if Excel is installed. It should abort installation otherwise.

I have created a custom action of type "ExecuteScriptCode" and placed it after "Searches" inside "Install Execution Stage". Action execute condition is set to: (NOT EXCEL2010) AND (NOT EXCEL2013) AND (NOT EXCEL2016), but nothing happens. I tried to use that condition in "Launch Conditions" page, but without success either.

Any further help will be appreciated, thanks
Jaime
Sorin

Hello,

We are not sure why you encounter this behavior. Please send us the .AIP (project) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Also, I forgot to mention an essential piece of information in my previous post: If you're using the latest Advanced Installer version. you could use our predefined Launch Condition for Excel 2016. To achieve this, please go to "Launch Conditions" page, "Software" tab, select "Installed Office application" and choose "2016" as a minimum version in the right side list box.

Best regards,
Sorin
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (12.68 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
jstuardo

I haven't seen that option however, it does not work as expected.

I have Excel 2016 installed in my machine, but when installer is launched, it shows the message telling that the add-in cannot be installed on systems without Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher. I tried using Minimum Version 2013 and the same happen. My Advanced Installer version is 12.1

Any other hint, please?

Regards
Jaime
Sorin

Hello Jaime,

Excel 2016 was released after Advanced Installer 12.1, so it seems that the setup generated with it couldn't detect the Excel 2016 installation.

I would recommend upgrading to the latest Advanced Installer version. If this is not possible, please follow the directions from my first post.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Building Installers”