ojanacek

Skipping bootstrapper UI

I have created an installer with a bootstrapper which check for .NET presence and some other prerequisites. There's also a UI which requires users to input some initial information like connection strings, etc. These information are stored in registry. The installer installs a Windows Service (a server path) and optionally also GUI application (a client part). The client is used to monitor all the servers and also to update them on demand by sending a new installer version. I'm able to deliver a new installer version over the network to any of the connected servers.

Now to the problem. I need to be able to run the new installer silently from within the service and somehow skip the whole bootstrapper and UI part. Just update product version in registry and overwrite files. Those initial information still apply. This sound like a patch but I can also be a major update. How would I go about this? How to design my installer in order to support this requirement? Currently, it has two features containing some assemblies and configuration files. There are also custom actions which install the service and start it. The client is installed based on which dropdown choice a user picks during installation.
Sorin

Re: Skipping bootstrapper UI

Hello and welcome to our Forums,
I need to be able to run the new installer silently from within the service and somehow skip the whole bootstrapper and UI part
You could achieve this by launching the installer in silent mode, using with the following command line:

Code: Select all

YourApplication.exe /exenoui /qn
Please take a look on our articles : How do I create a silent installation package? and EXE setup file
This sound like a patch but I can also be a major update. How would I go about this? How to design my installer in order to support this requirement?
You could implement this using either patches or upgrades.

A patch project is basically the difference between two MSI packages (which makes it very small) and you can use it to update an installation. Its small size is its main advantage.

Please note that there are some restrictions when authoring patches.
You can read more about patches here: Patch Projects, Creating Patches, Authoring a Windows Installer patch

The upgrade feature works like this:
- you install a MSI on the target machine
- you open the AIP file you used to build it
- you increase it's version and update some of it's files
- you answer "Yes" when prompted about changing the Product Code
- when running the updated MSI on the target machine the old installation will be removed and the updated package will be installed

The choice between the two implementation should be made based on your specific scenario.

If you want to preserve the values of the properties which store the data entered by the user at first time install and use them on either a patch or an upgrade, you could use our "Persistent Properties" feature from Edit Property Dialog

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ojanacek

Thanks, Sorin.

I tried using "Persistent Properties" but managed to set them only on properties that have an initial value. Those with no value could not be set. In order to be consistent I ended up using "searches" which works for me.
Sorin

Hello,
I tried using "Persistent Properties" but managed to set them only on properties that have an initial value. Those with no value could not be set
This issue is triggered by a limitation in our application's design.
In order to be consistent I ended up using "searches" which works for
I'm glad that you've sorted things out. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”