muvinteractive

Multi-language Package

Hello,
I've been created a multi-language package.
There is no problem to change the installation, But i want to change my app language according to my selected language.

I.E - MSI (c) (4C:C0) [08:41:25:377]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying AI_BOOTSTRAPPERLANG property. Its current value is '1033'. Its new value: '1028

As you can see i changed the language value to 1028, how can I take this value and use in to change language in my app also (Not only in the installer process) ?

Can i create custom action ? or batch script?

Please Advise,

Mor.
Sorin

Re: Multi-language Package

Hello,

The best scenario for achieving this depends on the way your application is designed.

A possible implementation would be to use a config file for your application in which you could set the language. This config file could be updated at install time with the language selected by the user.

Another method would be to create a registry value which stores the language option chosen by the user at install time. Then, your application could use this value to select the proper language.

You could, for example, store ProductLanguage property value in the registry.

If you need more help, please give us more details regarding your application's design.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
muvinteractive

Thanks a lot. this problem solved.

I have another problem related to updater service.
As soon as I do the whole update process without the service there is no problem and I can update.
As soon as I mark "Install support service" and try to do the update procedure, I receive an error in the installation "Error:Update installation failed" , which means that the uninstall process is complete and once I start the installation process I get the error.
Of course I want to do the process through the service because it is the only option to make the update silent (without any UI).
Thanks for your support.

Mor.
Sorin

Hello,

Your are welcome!

Please send us both the .AIP project (old and upgrade) and the updates configuration project to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Best regards,
Sorin
muvinteractive

Hi Sorin,
I've been able to fix the problem, I just do not use the service. fine for me :)
Another question: Is there an option via the Advanced installer to edit things according to the product version.
For example: I want that update be silent from a particular version and to be with FULL UI if it detects a different version ?

Thanks for all your help
Mor.
Sorin

Hello Mor,

I'm glad that you've got things working.
I want that update be silent from a particular version and to be with FULL UI if it detects a different version ?
This can be done in the following way:
From the "Updates Configuration Project" you could create multiple updates. For example, if you need that the version 1.0.1 to receive a silent update and version 1.0.2 to receive the update with Full Ui, just create two Updates. For the first one, you should go to "Update Installer" tab and enter "/qn" in the command line, as this update needs to be silent. Then go to the "Update Targets" tab and click "Add" button. In the "New Update Target Dialog" enter the application name, "1.0.1" in the "From Version" and "1.0.1" in the "To Version" field.
For the second update you should let the command line field from "Update Installer" tab empty and enter "1.0.2" in "From version" and "1.0.2" in "To version" field after adding a new target in the "Update Targets"

Best regards,
Sorin
MohammadNasser

Sorin wrote:Hello,

The best scenario for achieving this depends on the way your application is designed.

A possible implementation would be to use a config file for your application in which you could set the language. This config file could be updated at install time with the language selected by the user.
Hi Sorin,
i used satellite dlls for lanugauges.
how can i change the satellite dll to match the choice of the user during the installation?
Sorin

Hello,

You can add all the dlls in the "Files and Folders" page and condition their components depending on the ProductLanguage property. For example, to install a specific dll only if the user chooses English language, just select the dll from "Files and Folders", press F8 (go to its component) and enter a condition:

Code: Select all

ProductLanguage = "1033"
You could find all the language codes here : Windows Locale Codes - Sortable list

Best regards,
Sorin
maxme123

this is something really cool to learn about.
Sorin

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

Best regards,
Sorin
MohammadNasser

Sorin wrote:Hello,

You can add all the dlls in the "Files and Folders" page and condition their components depending on the ProductLanguage property. For example, to install a specific dll only if the user chooses English language, just select the dll from "Files and Folders", press F8 (go to its component) and enter a condition:

Code: Select all

ProductLanguage = "1033"
You could find all the language codes here : Windows Locale Codes - Sortable list

Best regards,
Sorin
Hi Sorin,

Thank you for your answer.

But how i could let my application know, that the user choosed a specific language.?
Daniel

Hello Mohammad,

You could save into registry at install time the value of "ProductLanguage" property. Then at runtime of your app you can search for the value of the installed "Language" registry.

To deploy such registry with your setup package you should just go to "Registry" page and create a new registry value like this:
  • Name: Language
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: [ProductLanguage]
Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
MohammadNasser

Hallo Daniel,
Thank you for your support.
i tried this approach, but it did not work. i could not find the added registry value, so i suppose it was not added.
any hints, where the problem could be.
Daniel wrote:Hello Mohammad,

You could save into registry at install time the value of "ProductLanguage" property. Then at runtime of your app you can search for the value of the installed "Language" registry.

To deploy such registry with your setup package you should just go to "Registry" page and create a new registry value like this:
  • Name: Language
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: [ProductLanguage]
Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Hello Mohammad,

Please note that on 64-bit machines all registry values are written under the "Wow6432Node" registry key if their "Mark component as 64-bit" option is not checked.

So, just try to look up for your registry value under the "Wow6432Node" registry key too.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”