h353655

Persisting doesn't appear to work

I've set Persistent on some of my properties, but still when I rebuild and run again, the supposedly persistent values are gone and replaced by default values.

also: I don't see a way to persist the Application folder and Application shortcut folder.

I've added the project. I have up to four pages of server connection strings for the user to enter, and he should only have to do it the first time, or if he should ever change DB server. So things like DATABASE_PROP are persisted.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
VCP Server Setup.aip
(359.05 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Sorin

Re: Persisting doesn't appear to work

Hello,

I have tested your project by building it using dummy resources and I didn't reproduce your behavior. Please note that our Persistent Properties feature is implementing using registry values. If the registry values created at install time are deleted or modified by an external factor (such as third party applications) the persistent property feature will fail to work properly. Can you reproduce this issue on clean machines? If you can, please provide a test case containing the names of the properties.

For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
h353655

Thanks for the fast response.

I can't see why those registry entries would be deleted.

How should I provide more data - a log of the installation?
if you just need a list of variables to look for, then
DATABASE_PROP
DATABASE_PROP_2
DATABASE_PROP_2_4
DATABASE_PROP_2_4_1
are some of them.

I've tried on a new, blank machine, and also on my own dev. machine (running from the AI program), and I've yet to see something persisted...
Daniel

Hello,

To create a log file just launch the EXE setup package using a command line like this:

Code: Select all

setup.exe /L*V path\log.txt
Then, please send us to support at advancedinstaller dot com the following resources:

1. a download link for your built setup package
2. a detailed test case we can use to replicate the behavior
3 the created log of the installation when the property value is not preserved

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
h353655

How are the registry keys stored? I'd like to see what it does and how it works. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe it is a problem that our build server is actually six different machines (and you'll get one that's free at the moment).

I've also had problems when installing, that the previous version isn't removed according to Programs And Features, and also that one of the imported config files is messed up (some elements appearing twice)
Daniel

Hello,

We store the persistent property values under the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\<Your Product Company Name>\<GUID of UpgradeCode>
All the best,
Daniel
h353655

I've added the latest and greatest version of my AI project.

I've installed from scratch on one of our test servers (a VM).

I then took a look (and a screenshot) of regedit, and it doesn't seem like it saves much...
Attachments
screenshot_regedit.png
screenshot_regedit.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
VCP Server Setup.aip
(320.08 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Daniel

Hello,

This is because you are looking under the wrong registry key. The persistent properties are saved under this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Logis\{0F7BFE8D-C428-4E0E-8CF7-739EC020A094}
Please try to isolate the issue you are facing with into a small buildable sample (AIP + its referenced resources) and send it to us alongside a detailed step by step test case.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”