joshsf

Simplest of Installers

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:18 am

Hello, could someone please walk me through the steps necessary to build an installer that just creates a folder in a program directory (if it doesn't exist) and installs a dll? I can't seem to figure out how to avoid creating an application folder and shortcut. If this question has been asked before a link to that would be great and apologies but it seems my search terms are all too common. Thanks!

Sorin

Re: Simplest of Installers

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:26 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

In order to implement this scenario you can use a Property based folder. This folder will be resolved at install time to the values from the respective property. This property can be one of the Windows Installer Folders, the result of a Search operation or a custom property set in the Install Parameters page.

Here is the complete method:
-go to "Install Parameters" and create a new property named, for example "FOLDER". In the value filed enter the program directory path.
-go to "Files and Folders" page and create a new property based folder, based on "FOLDER" property
-add the dll in this folder
-as there are no other files in your package, you could go to dialogs page and delete "FolderDlg" which has become redundant.

As you are new, I would recommend taking a look on our Creating a Simple package Tutorial

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

joshsf

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi, Sorin,
Thank you! Your explanation was easy to follow. The tutorial was not.
Josh

Sorin

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello Josh,

You are welcome!
Thank you for the positive feedback! Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”