ipollock

File being overwritten at install time when do not overwrite is on.

We have an installer that leaves a folder and configuration file behind at uninstall time.
I have also set the 'Do not overwrite existing file on the file properties in the installer so that a new
default file does not wipe the original file left behind.

The problem is that the file is being overwritten anyway.... is there another way to ensure that the file stays and does not
get overwritten when we uninstall/reinstall the app?

Thanks,

Ian
Sorin

Re: File being overwritten at install time when do not overwrite is on.

Hello,

Please note that you have to enable "Do not overwrite existing file" option in the new package's .AIP project as well. If this isn't helpful, please send us the .AIP project of the new installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com and tell us which is the file in cause.

I have tested your scenario with the latest Advanced Installer (14.2.1) and it worked as expected. Please try to upgrade to the latest version.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ipollock

So do you mean this has to be set on the root 'Application Folder'?

We cannot change up to the latest version.
Sorin

Hello,
So do you mean this has to be set on the root 'Application Folder'?
No, this is not necessary. You could only set the option for the configuration file. Is your file overwitten when installing an upgrade package or when installing the same setup that was previously uninstalled? If this happens during an upgrade please make sure you set the option "Do not overwrite existing file" in the new project as well.

If this still happens you could create a backup copy of the initial file and overwrite the file installed one again.

Best regards,
Sorin
ipollock

Hi Sorin,

1. The user has installed the software and a config file is created in subfolder A called 'custom.css'.
2. The user then removes the software and the 'custom.css' is left behind as planned.
3. The user then installs the next version of the software and the 'custom.css' is overwritten.

This is linked to my previous question "How to make a Folder stay during/after uninstall" found iin your forum.

So do you mean that i have to enable do not overwrite file on both the old and the new version?

Thank you.
Sorin

Hello,
So do you mean that i have to enable do not overwrite file on both the old and the new version?
Yes, you should enable this option on both old and new version.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Building Installers”