Tiles

Best way to upgrade the installer to a new software version?

Hi there,

I run into trouble at the moment to upgrade the installer to a new version of my software. There is a value that i simply cannot catch. I have upgraded everything catchable to version 0.9.4, but the installer still wants to install into the application folder with 0.9.3 in the name. And i have no idea where this comes from. The aip file doesn't contain a string with 0.9.3 anymore. I went through the dialogs, also no luck.

The cleanest way would be of course to make the complete installer from scratch. But i have changes in the dictionary and the UI. And it would be hard and error-prone to redo those changes with every new version.

So, what is the recommended method to upgrade an existing installer for the next software version? Is there a how to available somewhere? Something like a check list?

Kind regards

Reiner
Attachments
installerproblem.jpg
installerproblem.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
Tiles

Re: Best way to upgrade the installer to a new software version?

Hm, the issue went away by redoing what i did before, with the exact same steps. And this time the path fits.

The question about the best method remains though ^^
Sorin

Hello,

This could happen because "Use original Installation path when upgrading" option from "Upgrades" page is enabled.
So, what is the recommended method to upgrade an existing installer for the next software version? Is there a how to available somewhere? Something like a check list?
You could increase the "Product version" from "Product Details" page and generate a new Product Code when you will be prompted. Also, you could use the Pseudo formatted reference [|ProductVersion] in the "Product Name" field instead of manually entering the version. For example you could replace the Bforartis 0.9.4 - 64 bit with:

Code: Select all

Bforartis [|ProductVersion] - 64 bit
Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Tiles

Thanks Sorin, this looks like something very useful :)

And yes, the Use original ... was ticked. I would've never thought of this.

Kind regards

Reiner
Sorin

Hello,

You are welcome!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”