Kaster

Ask user for overwriting file ...

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi,

I need to ask user for overwriting some report template files by patch or new software version installation.

How to do that?

Maybe with customized question text per file?

Thanks!

Sorin

Re: Ask user for overwriting file ...

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am

Hello,

This could be implemented by a checkbox placed on a dialog which gives the user the option to select if he wants to overwrite the report template files. The property associated with this checkbox could be used to condition the feature which contains the components of the report files.

This is the complete method:

1. Go to "Dialogs" editor, select a dialog (or create a new one if you choose so) and add a new checkbox from the "New" - "Control" toolbar button. Customize this new control, by editing the following fields from the Properties pane from the right side :

Code: Select all

"Display" - "Text" : "Overwrite User Data"
"Property" - "Property Name" : "OVERWRITE"
2. Go to "Organization" page and create a new feature. Place all the components associated with the report template files in this new feature. Select "Not installed" option from "Installation Behavior" and "Installed if: OVERWITE"

3. Go to files and folders page, select all the report template files, right click on them and choose "Properties". Then go to "Operations" tab and choose "Always overwrite existing files" option.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Kaster

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Hm ... I unfortunately did not manage it.

Among other things I can't add such "OVERWRITE" checkbox in new Dialog under "Maintenance" sequenz - it does not leave me change property name to "OVERWRITE" (i works with AI 13.7)

Where can I find sample AIP file (or explanation "for dummies") for similar fuature?

Thanks

Sorin

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello,

I've attached a sample project that is configured to ask the user via a checkbox placed on WelcomeDlg if he wants to overwrite "user data.txt" file.

I'm not sure I understand your scenario. Why do you need the checkbox to be placed on a Maintenance dialog?

Best regards,
Sorin
Attachments
Sample.zip
(3.09KiB)Downloaded 289 times

Kaster

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:01 pm

So ... after almost a year I come again to this issue.

Your proposed procedure is not what i want ...

I do not want to decide in advance if I want to overwrite something.

I want, decide for each file, which is installed / copied in appropriate (installation) folder (and only if already exists in the folder)
whether the existing file should be overwritten or not.

The users have some report templates (*.mrt) that are customized and I dont want to overwrite this customized report templates without their decision.

I hope you understand my scenario

Thanks
Attachments
ZEClientSetup.aip
(47.05KiB)Downloaded 339 times

Sorin

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello,

From what I understand you need to give the user the option to select if he wants to overwrite each of the *.mrt files.

In this case you could create a new dialog containing a checkbox for each file and then condition the component of each file with the property associated with a checkbox. In order to achieve this just go to "Files and Folders" , select a file and press F8 (go to component). In the condition field enter the property associated with the checkbox.

If this is not helpful please give us a detailed description of the workflow you need to implement.

Best regards,
Sorin

Kaster

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Thank you ... I'll see how I solve it.

Sorin

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

Hello,

You are welcome!

Just let me know if you have any other questions or doubts.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Building Installers”