FleXNSB

Create Registry Entry AFTER installation finishes

Hello,

I am currently working on an installer.

Part of the installation is the possibility of multiple SQL Server Instances getting installed (Depending on which features are being installed).

AFTER the installation the users get presented a dialog to browse to the SQL server that will act as their "MASTER" server instance (Which could have been installed by the installer or could be a server that was already installed on another machine). After they've browsed to the correct server, I am trying to store the connection information into registry (Encrypted of course). I have the encryption all figured out and working, but the the registry creation happens during the installation and has already occurred at this time. Is there a custom action I can run to create registry entries after the install? Do I need to create a bat file and execute that or is there a way to accomplish this without having to mess with that?

Thanks,

Brian
Sorin

Re: Create Registry Entry AFTER installation finishes

Hello,

The registry values are written during "WriteRegistryValues" standard action under : "Add Resources" group from "Install Execution Stage". Although you could modify the sequence of this standard action in "Install Execute Sequence" table (from "Table Editor" page), I strongly suggest to avoid this workflow.

Instead I would recommend using the batch file implementation yo've mentioned. Please take a look on this article that describes how to launch to deploy a batch file as a temporary file and launch it through a custom action: How to launch a CMD or BAT file

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”