nlindberg

Removing an old application with AI

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 pm

We are preparing to upgrade a piece of software that is installed on all of our workstations (Roughly 4000). Unfortunately, the installer for the new version of the program will not upgrade the old version, requiring us to uninstall the application on these workstations. I am not a developer, but rather an SCCM admin. However, I can really appreciate how powerful a tool AI can be. There are about 8 steps to what I need my MSI to do, but I'll only post the first step, as I'll do what I can to figure out the remaining steps on my own. Currently I have a batch file to remove this program, that looks like this:

c:
cd \
cd Program Files
cd Software Developer
cd ProgramName
C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil /u OurCustomProgram.exe

How do I take this, and turn it into the first step of my project? I've looked through the tutorials, but I'm unsure how to proceed. It seems that at least the first portion of my project is using AI as an uninstaller rather than an installer.

Thanks for any help!

Eusebiu

Re: Removing an old application with AI

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi,

If the package that you need to uninstall is a Windows Installer based package, you can simply add its Upgrade Code in the "Upgrades" page of your project and it will be automatically removed during the installation of your new product.

Otherwise, you can either add the BAT file as a custom action or create another custom action (C++, C#, PowerShell, etc.) that will remove that product.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”