leet

Building installer that can install per USER and MACHINE

Hi!

I am trying to build an installer that deletes a registry key under HKLM (local machine) and copies some files over to the users %APPDATA%.

Is there a way to do this without building two installers?

When I choose "Installation type - Per machine", HKLM works, but coping files to APPDATA is not working. When choosing "Installation type - Per user", it copies the files, but not deleting the registry key..

thanks!
Sorin

Re: Building installer that can install per USER and MACHINE

Hello and welcome to our Forums,

You should be able to copy files into the %appdata% folder of the current logged user by adding the files in "Application Data" folder from "Files and Folders" page even though the installation type is configured to "Per-machine only".

If you need to deploy files in all users appdata please take a look on this article : How to deliver a file to all users profiles
When I choose "Installation type - Per machine", HKLM works, but coping files to APPDATA is not working.
Can you describe your workflow in Advanced Installer for the above scenario?
When choosing "Installation type - Per user", it copies the files, but not deleting the registry key..
Please note that when removing a registry key from HKLM you need Administrative Privileges. Just go to "Install Parameters" page and select "Per-user only (with administrator rights required)" installation type.

In order to have a better view of your scenario, could you send us the .AIP (project) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
leet

Sorin wrote:Hello and welcome to our Forums,

You should be able to copy files into the %appdata% folder of the current logged user by adding the files in "Application Data" folder from "Files and Folders" page even though the installation type is configured to "Per-machine only".

If you need to deploy files in all users appdata please take a look on this article : How to deliver a file to all users profiles
When I choose "Installation type - Per machine", HKLM works, but coping files to APPDATA is not working.
Can you describe your workflow in Advanced Installer for the above scenario?
When choosing "Installation type - Per user", it copies the files, but not deleting the registry key..
Please note that when removing a registry key from HKLM you need Administrative Privileges. Just go to "Install Parameters" page and select "Per-user only (with administrator rights required)" installation type.

In order to have a better view of your scenario, could you send us the .AIP (project) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Best regards,
Sorin
Thanks Sorin.

Just tested again, and "Per-machine only" worked fine. The problem is that when installing from MS Intune, it installs in SYSTEM context, that's why it did not work.
I need to find a way around this.

Thanks again.
Sorin

Hello,

You are welcome!

Unfortunately the only method that I can think of to overcome this limitation would be a self-healing process triggered by an advertise shortcut as described in this article :How to deliver a file to all users profiles

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”