jes

Build failing due to Temporary folder in Remote Desktop.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:45 am

Hi,

Could someone please help me to solve the below scenario:

Build failing, when we take the Remote Desktop, but the same builds seem to load fine in local machines.
The problem is that, I have some files, which run through temporary folder.
The path that idetified by the Advanced installer in the system is:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp

While the path identidfed by the advanced installer in the remote machine is:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\2

At the end of the path, session_id is attached. That's why, I am not able to build the machine.
Is there is any methods to set the path as same as which is in the system in advanced installer.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Re: Build failing due to Temporary folder in Remote Desktop.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Jes,

We have tested this scenario on multiple machines and we could reproduce this issue on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.

A Windows installer installation contains two processes : a client process and a server process. On the client process the actions from "Wizard Dialogs Stage" are executed, for example the actions from the UI when the temp file is copied on local machine. On the server process,the actions from "install Execution Stage" are executed, for example the file Copy/Move operation. Please note that the file copy operation is entirely managed by Windows Installer.

Due to a Windows Server policy, each of the above processes have a different temp path. This is why the temp folder for the client process is resolved to something like:
"C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\"
and the temp folder for the server process is resolved something like:
"C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\"

Due to this situation the file move operation fails to move the file in the location the client expects it to be.

This is due to an Windows (Server) policy : "Do not use temporary folders per session".
For Windows Server 2012 RC the full path of this node in the Group Policy Management Console is "Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Temporary folders."

The workaround will be to make sure that the above policy option is enabled.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jes

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

We are not allowed to enable/disable the system settings, because, the user who uses this application may or may not have administrative rights. We don't know, who all are going to use this application.
So, Is there is any other way to solve this issue ?

Thanks !!

Daniel

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello,

Can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them and try to propose workaround solutions for your issue? Also, please try to give us more details about what exactly fails when accessing the temp folder? What do you need to launch/access from temp location>

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Daniel

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello,

This is just a follow up to my previous reply.

Some possible workaround solutions are exposed in our "Problem with temp folder" thread.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

mmv

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi,

I have faced the same issue and still have no idea why it is not working fine.

Temporary folder is defined in the tree.
While installing, the files are unzipped by installer into the temp folder is like <local profile>\Temp\1\<product version>\...
Though it should be <local profile>\Temp\<product version>\...

Ok, I know about dedicated temp folder per session, policy, etc.

But this <product version> folder has id assigned via Edit folder-Properties-Identifier.
My vbs script in the Custrom Actions gets this <product version> folder path via Script-Properties-ActionData = id
and inside script folder path is received from script context via Session.Property("CustomActionData").

As long as in the folder properties in the folders tree and in the ActionData of the script the same id is specified, I expect to have the same folder path, but it is different.
Could you please explain this. Id of folder here is not what should be relied on?

Catalin

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forum,

As you may know, the installation consists of two processes - client and server. Client represents the process where the UI is spawned and the server represents the process where the installation happens (after you press the "Install" button)

The ID (in this case, the folder's property), is resolved on both installation processes (client and server - basically WizardDialogsStage and InstallExecutionStage) during the CostFinalize (PathsResolution action group) standard action. Basically, the folder is resolved twice in this case and if you do not have the "Do not use temporary folders per session" Windows (Server) policy set, it will resolve to two different values.

Hope this explanation helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”