InstallerBldr

Bootstrapper Prerequisites Dialog not appearing

Evalution version of lastest AI Enterprise - we plan on purchasing if we can get a proof of concept of the PrerequisiteDlg Prerequisite Selector working properly.

Project has 3 Pre-install Prerequisite Packages that should always be installed if not present. Those are working fine.

Problem is that there are 2 Feature-based Prerequisite Packages that I would expect to see in displayed as optional packages in the EXE Bootstrapper/Pre-install UI/PrerequisitesDlg dialog. This dialog never appears, instead it goes from WelcomePrereqDlg to ProgressPrereqDlg.

I've tried deleting the following event:
EXE Bootstrapper
Pre-install UI
WelcomePrereqDlg
Next button
Event Argument Condition
Display a specific dialog PrerequisiteDlg AI_BOOTSTRAPPER
...so that when the WelcomePrereqDlg Next button is pressed it always shows the PrerequisitesDlg. The Advanced Installer UI doesn't enable the Remove button when that event is selected. I also cannot find any information on AI_BOOTSTRAPPER

My 2 Feature-based Prerequisites have the 'Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed' checkbox unselected.
They are using files from disk along with Install Command Lines that contain '--', ' " ', '!' and '_' characters.
They also have Install Conditions 'Install Prerequisite based on conditions':
Criteria Search String
Registry Value Exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyPrerequisiteSoftware1\Version
...where the Registry Value has been tested via the AI UI and responds as expected depending on its presence.
'Install prerequisite if all conditions are false' is selected.

It's a 64bit project targeting only 64bit OS's so 'Use 64-bit locations when evaluating conditions on a 64-bit machine' is selected.

Under Builds, the Package Type is 'EXE setup with resources next to it'.

Under Organization, 'Mark components in this feature as "64-bit component"' is checked. Installation Behavior is 'Not Installed' with 'Installed if:' set to PREREQUISITESDLGPREREQUISITESELECTOR_0_PROP. <-- I'm pretty sure that's not fully right but you can see here that I'm trying to have this feature optional based on the Bootstrapper UI PrerequisitesDlg. Problem is that this dialog never appears.

I've looked at the examples and none of them appear to describe how to make the Bootstrapper UI PrerequisitesDlg appear and how to connect the Feature-based Prerequisite packages to the user selections in that dialog. I'd appreciate a pointer to a working example.

Thanks
Eusebiu

Re: Bootstrapper Prerequisites Dialog not appearing

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Please note that the "feature-based" prerequisites are not displayed in the Bootstrapper "PrerequisitesDlg" dialog, only the "pre-install" prerequisites are displayed there in case they are not installed on the target machine.

The "feature-based" prerequisites can however be displayed on following dialogs if you add them in the "First Time Install" section from the "Dialogs" page: PrerquisitesDlg, ConfigureDlg, SetupTypeDlg (CustomizeDlg is a child of it).

If you still encounter problems please send me your project and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
InstallerBldr

Thank you, that fixed it.

Do you think you could add this to the guide?

Currently I found it confusing as it only says:

"Prerequisites Overview
Your additional packages are ordered by their execution sequence:

•Pre-install - global prerequisites with customizable UI installed before the MSI is launched.
•Feature-based - prerequisites which are linked to installer features. They are handled by the installer UI and launched right before the main installation.
•Chained - MSI packages executed right before your main installation finishes.
•Post-install - additional packages which are handled by the installer UI. They are launched after your main installation has finished."

Perhaps it could say something like:

"Prerequisites Overview
Your additional packages are ordered by their execution sequence:

•Pre-install - global prerequisites with customizable UI installed before the MSI is launched. If these are not installed prior to running the installer, they will appear in the EXE Bootstrapper Pre-Install UI PrerequisiteDlg dialog.
•Feature-based - prerequisites which are linked to installer features. They are handled by the installer UI and launched right before the main installation. The "feature-based" prerequisites can however be displayed on following dialogs if you add them in the "First Time Install" section from the "Dialogs" page: PrerquisitesDlg, ConfigureDlg, SetupTypeDlg (CustomizeDlg is a child of it).
•Chained - MSI packages executed right before your main installation finishes.
•Post-install - additional packages which are handled by the installer UI. They are launched after your main installation has finished."
Eusebiu

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

Yes, we will update the User Guide in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”