Saars

Registry Searches

I'm a little confused about searches and how to use them

I have a registry key that I need to create based on the version of Office(Excel) installed

I created a search with the following info

Title: EXCEL2010
Criteria: Registry key exists
Registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel

my understanding is that I should go to Organization, select the feature, which is writing the registry key and set the following

Condition: EXCEL2010

I tried also setting EXCEL2010 = 1 but it still writes the new key despite the search key not existing
Dan

Re: Registry Searches

Hello Sears,

From what I can see the method you are using to condition the registry install is correct.

The problem may be caused by the path you are using for the search. Could you please remove the "WOW6432Node" from the path and let us know if this resolves the issue.

The reason for this is that when a 32-bit application writes or reads a value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> subkey, the application reads from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product> subkey. On a 32-bit machine this may cause the problem you described.

If this does not resolve the issue, could you please send us the .AIP (project) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”