net1994

Editing a SETUP.EXE installer?

Hello all - Not sure if any of this is possible, so I shall ask. We have the Enterprise license of Advanced installer. I need to install an program from an EXE setup file apply a registry file during the setup process. Is this possible? Basically, take the setup.exe installer and edit to insert the registry file. If this is possible at all, I'm not doing it right or can find a way to do it in advanced installer. If this is possible, can you help me get there.
Daniel

Re: Editing a SETUP.EXE installer?

Hello and welcome to our forums,

If i correctly understood your requirement, you want to edit an EXE setup package to install an additional registry which is not currently deployed by the original EXE setup file.

It is not possible to edit the EXE setup directly, but as a workaround you can create a wrapper setup project which will install the required registry and the original EXE setup as a prerequisite. Here are the steps to proceed with:

1. create a new "Enterprise" project
2. go to "Registry" page and add the desired registry
3. go to "Prerequisites" page and add your EXE setup as a prerequisite
4. build and test the wrapper setup package

if you have any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
net1994

Thanks Daniel!

Under Prerequisites, do I import the file under 'Pre Install' or 'Feature Based' or 'Chained?'
Daniel

You're always welcome.

You can add it either as a pre-install prerequisite or as a feature-based.

The difference is than when adding as a pre-install it will be installed before the wrapper setup itself, just before the wrapper setup dialogs appear. When adding as a feature-based prerequisite it will be installed just after you click on [Install] button of the wrapper setup dialogs.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”