Umarlone

Update asp.net website without asking for settings again.

I have built installer for asp.net website, I tried to create/enable updater functionality but it reinstalling and whole application, like asking for SQL connection again and IIS port. It must be in the first time install only. How do I go about creating updater so that it only updates the dlls or html or css without reinstalling the whole thing. Also is there any chance for you support asp.net core? the only difference so far I noticed is working with Json files, have to run powershell to update json files, unlike your xml support.

Thank You
Sorin

Re: Update asp.net website without asking for settings again.

Hello,
I have built installer for asp.net website, I tried to create/enable updater functionality but it reinstalling and whole application, like asking for SQL connection again and IIS port. It must be in the first time install only.
This could be implemented using our "Persistent property" feature. If you enable this option, the property will be stored in the registry and available in maintenance mode (repair, uninstall, etc.) and during upgrade installation. If the property is changed during maintenance, its value will not be stored in the registry.

In the first version .AIP project you need to enable the "Set persistent property" for the properties associated with the controls used for settings input.

How do I go about creating updater so that it only updates the dlls or html or css without reinstalling the whole thing.
In order to implement this scenario you could create a patch. Patches are usually much smaller than upgrades, as they only contain the diffs between the two versions of the product. However, they can only be installed on computers that have the previous version already installed. Also please note that when authoring a patch package you have a number of restrictions
Also is there any chance for you support asp.net core? the only difference so far I noticed is working with Json files, have to run powershell to update json files, unlike your xml support.
This improvement is already on our TO-DO list but unfortunately we don't have an ETA for now, as our development team is very busy. I've just increased its priority. We will update this thread as soon as the feature will be available.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”