bzowk

Help Building Installer That Extracts Contents Then Executes MSI for Installation

Hey Guys -

I have an installer which is simple enough as installing an MSI which standard options / switches for a silent install - however - it's source files consist of 18,000+ files totalling 250mb. The total size isn't an issue, but distributing and caching all of those tiny files makes installation take forever - especially for most systems which will need is as they will all have to be sent over the WAN.

What I'd like to do is build an installer which basically has all of the source files in it and upon installation extracts all the files into the application folder then executes the MSI using the standard install string. I'd think the best way to do this would be to add all source files into a new project then add a Custom Action to start the MSI once the files are copied (extracted). I'm not too familiar with exactly how to do it, so if correct, any guidance would be helpful.

What would be the best (& easiest) way to accomplish this? Thanks!
Daniel

Re: Help Building Installer That Extracts Contents Then Executes MSI for Installation

Hello and welcome to our forums,

To do so you can simply build a new MSI package which will include all of those files in "Files and Folders" page. Then you can create a new project which will wrap the new and original MSI. Both MSIs could be added in the wrapper project as feature-based prerequistes.

The first in list (from up to down) should be added the new MSI and then the original one. This way the wrapper setup will install firstly the new MSI and then the original one.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”