mheckmann

Extended Validation Certificate save password?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello,

after renewing our standard certificate we now face the problem that Smartscreen goes off and we are reluctant to have our customers face this problem until reputation has build. From what I understand, the only way around this is to purchase an EV Certificate. Talking to Digicert, they claim that I will have to enter the password manually each time I want to sign our application - is this true or can we save the password in the aip file?

Thank you very much
Best
Markus

Daniel

Re: Extended Validation Certificate save password?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 am

Hello Markus,

I really don't know if the SmartScreen prompt will go away if you will use an EV certificate, but I assume the people from Digicert have a better knowledge in this regard.

Regarding the prompt for password at signing time, from what I know, yes this is true. But we also have an option in "Digital Signature" page to save the password (encrypted) into your project. Also, when using EV certificates with private key stored on a USB dongle to avoid getting prompted for the password on each signing operation you could get and install SafeNet Authentication Client V10.3 or later, and go into the "Advanced settings" –> "Client settings" –> "Enable single Logon" and enable this option.

Hope this will help.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

dbalsbaugh

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:52 pm

Is there an option to get this working with an SSL.COM EV certificate and a YubiKey USB dongle? We have automated builds setup on a server based VM so accessing the physical USB dongle from the server is not working.

Catalin

Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:25 pm

Hello,

If the machine does not have access to the USB dongle, then I am not quite sure this is possible.

How to use the USB eToken for Extended Validation Code Signing in Advanced Installer

As per the above article:
To be able to sign, the USB eToken must be connected to the machine where Advanced Installer is installed.
Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”