Umarlone

Advance Installer Updater

I have installer and it has updater enabled. Following are the things I want to achieve:
1. Instead of hardcoding the updates.txt path to exe file, is it possible dynamically change it? Say URL = http://example.com/installer.exe thats what I get by default, so I want something like updates.txt(if possible json file) points to a folder and each update will have folder like Folder2.0.0, Folder2.0.1 etc. So the path will be like
URL = http://example.com/software/enterprise/ ... t/{VERSION} where version is passed to url like URL = http://example.com/software/enterprise/ ... tNet/2.0.0
2. Is it possible to install silently if its just update and show installer UI if its first time install?
Eusebiu

Re: Advance Installer Updater

Hi.

1. I'm afraid that the content of the "updates.txt" file cannot be dynamically changed. When the Auto Updater is launched, it checks the "updates.ini" file that is present on the local machine and retrieves the URL to the "updates.txt" file that is present on the server.

This URL (that points to the "updates.txt" file) can be dynamically changed using the "-url <location>" command. However, the URL that is contained by the "updates.txt" file (that points to the EXE setup) cannot be changed.

2. In order to install the updates silently you can write the appropriate command line in the "Command line" field from the "Update Installer" tab of the "Updates Configuration" project. You can read the "How to handle updates without elevation" article for more details.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Umarlone

Thank for your reply Eusebiu,
no success, I did the recommand settings in main project and in updater project for silent update. It returns errors. passed /qn to updates.txt but that gives error when installer is launch. I know I am doing something wrong, cant figure out what. Can you guide ? or I have call to the maintenance support I have from AI?

Also, I been trying hard to make .net core sdk to be installed silently. Its prerequisite and it has .exe extension. When installer finds that its not installed, it downloads and installs nicely. I just dont want user getting popups to client on accept button from that .net core exe when advance installer launches it, is there a way?

Many Thanks
Eusebiu

Hi,

In order to have a better view and investigate your problems, can you please send me the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com? Also, can you please send me a screenshot with the error that you encounter during the upgrade?

In order to install a prerequisite silently, without user interaction, you can select it, go to the "Setup Files" tab and add the appropriate silent arguments in the "Install Command Lines" fields.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”