Rolthar

Want to be sure Advanced Installer can handle this before I Pay

Greetings!

So I am tasked with creating an installer that I can push to clients, I would love the installer to have the following features:

-Prompt the user to update if there is an update available
-Update a single exe and two folders that are packaged with the msi (the MSi has two cabinet files to go along with it) without changing other files as some are generated once the user runs one of our programs.

I've been dabbling with the trial version so far and love the way the installer looks and feels, and so far Is amazing, Im just not too sure how to go about the updater, its a little confusing reading the docs.

Any help or nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Daniel

Re: Want to be sure Advanced Installer can handle this before I Pay

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for giving Advanced Installer a trial.

To deliver updates to your product you should use our "Updater" feature indeed. To get a starting point of how our Updater tool works please follow and review our "Using the Updater" tutorial.

The Updater can be launched manually by the user (i.e. through a shortcut), by a scheduled task (you could also configure from the setup project too) or you can even call it from your application code.

Now in what regards the updates package you want to deploy using the Updater tool, using Advanced Installer you can build two type of updates package:

1. a major upgrade update; this is a standalone setup (MSI or EXE) which could be installed standalone or can be installed against an older version of the same product; when an older version is detected on target machine the upgrade operation is performed in two steps: firstly the old version of the product is completely uninstalled and, secondly the current (new) version of the product is installed;

2. a patch update; this is an MSP file which can contain only the changes between two installation packages (MSIs): target and upgraded; a patch is basically a diff between two MSI installation databases and includes only the resources and settings that have changed from one version to another; also a patch update can only be installed only against its target product version, it cannot be installed standalone

Here are more details about how to create a patch:
- Authoring a Windows Installer patch
- Creating Patches

and about major upgrades too:
- Windows Installer Upgrades
- Upgrades Page

Do not hesitate to get back to us with any questions, doubts or queries you may have.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”