aho

AI_ExePath - delete it?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 am

Hi,
I need to reorganize my Advanced Installer Project. Therefore, some Features shall be deleted.

I have already deleted all the files (in the "Files and Folders" page) which were part of the feature "MainFeature_x86".
But when I look at the "Organization" page, I cannot delete the Feature "MainFeature_x86", because it contains an "AI_ExePath" component.

I could delete this componente, but since I do not know why this component is there, I'm not sure if this will cause troubles in the future.
2018-02-23 10_38_20-AI Forum.png
2018-02-23 10_38_20-AI Forum.png (18.84KiB)Viewed 18460 times
:?: What does this "AI_ExePath" component and is it save to delete?

Thanks a lot!

Bogdan

Re: AI_ExePath - delete it?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi and welcome to our forums,

This component is used by the setup package, you should not delete it.

Just move it (drag and drop) to another feature from that package that always gets installed.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

aho

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the fast reply!
What do you mean with package? The Advanced Installer project?

In fact, I have several features where sub-features (which I want to delete) have this AI_ExePath component. Can I move all those remaining AI_ExePath components to "MainFeature" which will always get installed?

aho

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm

I would be very happy about an answer.

Eusebiu

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi,

By package we mean the MSI file that results when the project is built.

You can move that component to "MainFeature" from any feature that you want to remove.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

aho

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks a lot!

Eusebiu

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 pm

You're welcome.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

aho

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:47 pm

I just noticed, that moving those AI_ExePath Components between "root-level" features is not allowed (drag'n'drop doesn't work). I can only move them between sub-features.

I also noticed the following:
In the past I added prerequisites. Features were automatically created for those prerequisites. I moved them inside another root-features.
Now I deleted some of the prerequirements, because I don't need them anymore.
It looks like, everytime I delete a prerequisite, every component of the corresponding feature is deleted - except the AI_ExePath. This AI_ExePath seems to be moved one level up (inside the root-level feature). The sub-feature is deleted only for the first prerequisite I delete. When I delete another prerequisite (which feature is also a sub-feature inside the SAME root-level feature), the AI_ExePath cannot be moved one level up, because there is already an AI_ExePath component. Therefore the sub-feature remains with only on component - the AI_ExePath.

Now the project is messed up, because it contains features which should not exist anymore.

:?: How can I get the project clean again?

Eusebiu

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi,

I added an improvement on our TODO list regarding the "AI_ExePath" component, so it will not cause such problems in the future. Thank you for bringing these scenarios to our attention.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, you can follow the steps below:
- drag and drop that component to any other component from the project, so all the "AI_ExePath" components will disappear
- expand the component you moved it to, click on the "AI_ExePath" entry and "Move it to a New Component"
- drag and drop the new AI_ExePath" component to a feature that will always be installed
- remove all the features that you do not need anymore

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

aho

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I have some questions regarding the workaround.
Eusebiu wrote: - drag and drop that component to any other component from the project, so all the "AI_ExePath" components will disappear
.) Which component should be moved? AI_ExePath?
.) How can a component be placed inside another component?
Eusebiu wrote: - expand the component you moved it to, click on the "AI_ExePath" entry and "Move it to a New Component"
.) Do you mean feature instead of component?
Eusebiu wrote: - drag and drop the new AI_ExePath" component to a feature that will always be installed
.) You mean there shall be one feature which contains all AI_ExePath components? Is it possible that a feature can contain componets with the same name?

Eusebiu

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,
Which component should be moved? AI_ExePath?
Yes, the "AI_ExePath" component should be moved to any other component.
How can a component be placed inside another component?
Just drag and drop that component over another component.
Do you mean feature instead of component?
No, I mean the component you moved "AI_ExePath" to.
You mean there shall be one feature which contains all AI_ExePath components? Is it possible that a feature can contain componets with the same name?
There will be one feature that contains only one "AI_ExePath" component, this will be enough. A feature cannot contain more components with the same name. The "AI_ExePath" component that you see in all the features is actually the same component shared between all those features.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

aho

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:10 pm

I had more than one AI_ExePath components from already deleted prerequirements. I just needed to do your described steps once. After that, all other AI_ExePath components disappeared. Guess this is because it is a shared component...

Looks good now! Thanks a lot for your support!

Eusebiu

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 pm

You're welcome. I'm glad you solved this.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”