happysnapper98

How to make Installer automatically detect game directory?

Hi,

I have been doing some trial and error with this awesome little program but I have become stuck on some things.

I don't know where to even start with this. I basically have some files and folders that I want to copy over to a certain game directory (a game directory that already exists through installation of its software) so I thought I would use Advanced Installer for this and it's working great except for two things which I just can not seem to figure out how to do.

1) I need my Installer to automatically detect this certain game directory, so that it finds it no matter where its installed. How do I achieve this?

2) I'd like people to be able to pick and choose certain things during the installation, so that when they don't want something it doesn't copy over a certain folder

Thank you for your time and help!
Sorin

Re: How to make Installer automatically detect game directory?

Hello,
1) I need my Installer to automatically detect this certain game directory, so that it finds it no matter where its installed. How do I achieve this?
To implement this you have to figure out a way to detect the game directory. Some installation store the directory in the registry. In this case you could use a Registry Search that will store the path contained by a registry value into a property.

In another implementation could use a file search for a file contained by the folder in question.
2) I'd like people to be able to pick and choose certain things during the installation, so that when they don't want something it doesn't copy over a certain folder
In order to achieve this you could organize your project into Features and use one of our predefined dialogs that give the user the option to choose which features he want to install (Configure Dialog or Optional Features dialog).

To create the features just go to Organization Page page.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”