parkerr

Using session.log in Wix DLL

Hi Everyone

its me again and I apologize in advance if I am just being a bit feeble.

I have moved away from the vbscript concept in an earlier question and I am now trying to implement a VB.Net Wix dll.

I configured Advanced Installer to build as a single EXE setup (resources inside) and attached a Custom Action Call Function from attached native DLL. In the DLL function I am writing log entries using;

session.Log("message")

I have been testing this and updating the DLL code as I became more proficient with Advanced Installer and the VB.NET side, I got to the point where I had included a form in the DLL to be displayed if it wasn't a /quiet install.

My first issue is that when I run the install from withing Advanced Installer as singe EXE setup (resources inside) it appears to have stopped writing my log entries to the install log, when I recompile the install to single MSI setup (resources inside) the entries are written to the log. I have inserted a MessageBox message into the DLL function and it displays either for exe or msi but only the msi will write the log entries. So when I first started this process the exe would write the log entries and then just suddenly stopped doing it.

Is there a switch that I don't know about. (I vae tested from within Advanced Installer and as a command line execution from CMD (running as Administrator)
Daniel

Re: Using session.log in Wix DLL

Hello,

I'm not sure why this happens. Can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them? also, let us know the exact session.Log("message") line of code which fails to write during EXE installation.

Even better, you can try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”