acpowell

Captured program in Programs and Features not behaving as we expected

Good morning,

I have a program that we captured from a VM and is not behaving like we expected when we go to Programs and Features and click change.

When we click change it wants to modify the MSI that AI built not the actual installer for the program we captured.

Is there a way to modify my capture to allow changing the captured program and not the MSI AI built?
Daniel

Re: Captured program in Programs and Features not behaving as we expected

Hello,

Please note that the main purpose of our Repackager tool is to repackage a product installation into a new setup package, not to edit the original setup package.

If your setup package is of MSI type you can try to use our MSI Quick Editor if you need just to edit an existing setup package.

Can you give us more details about your project requirements and about what would you like to achieve? Maybe give us some practical examples.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
acpowell

Daniel wrote:Hello,

Please note that the main purpose of our Repackager tool is to repackage a product installation into a new setup package, not to edit the original setup package.

If your setup package is of MSI type you can try to use our MSI Quick Editor if you need just to edit an existing setup package.

Can you give us more details about your project requirements and about what would you like to achieve? Maybe give us some practical examples.

All the best,
Daniel
Of Course: We have a program that we want people to be able to install on their own. The issue is that the program requires entering 14 product keys some of which are very long alpha numeric keys. There is no way from the manufacture to automate this process through. Using the Capture a install function of AI has served us well with this for the last year. The issue now is that we were given new keys to replace a couple expired ones. When we go to Programs and features and click change on a "typical install" it would bring up the program and allow you to change the keys, but since we captured the program with AI when we click change, it wants to change the AI install we built not the actual program's install. We assumed since it was capturing all changes to the machine that it would also capture the fact that the program was installed and add the entry to programs and features like any other install which it didn't in this case.

I hope this makes sense and that you can help.
Daniel

Hello,

I'm not sure if this will help, but you can try to configure your repackaged setup not to display an entry in "Programs and Features". To do so, you should go to "Product Details" page of your setup project and either uncheck the "Register with Windows Installer" option or check the "Do not show in list" option.

Otherwise, if you do want to launch an application on setup change mode, then you should try to configure this launch on a button push of your installed dialogs. For instance, when change operation is launched your setup package runs on maintenance mode and will display the dialogs under "Maintenance" group displayed in "Dialogs" page of your project. So, you can configure a custom action (i.e. to launch your app file)on a button pushed from one of those dialogs.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”