johnsmith052

make MSI from 3 EXE files

Greeting,

Have a task to build a new msi file from 3 exe files.

ORGinal.exe
SP1.exe
SP2.exe

If I am using "Repackaging an existing installation in a VMware virtual machine", I have no issue to do that if only "Orginal.exe".

But the real task is install orginal.exe first. then install sp1.exe the install sp2.exe (all installation in GUI, need to answer some simply questions).

How can I do that?

Thanks.
Newbie in Installer
Daniel

Re: make MSI from 3 EXE files

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for giving Advanced Installer a trial.

Can you please try to follow our "Convert EXE(s) to MSI" tutorial steps and see if this helps. Basically, using this approach you will embed into an MSI file your EXE setups as they are (without touching their resources) and they will be launched through our "Prerequisites" support.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
johnsmith052

Thanks Daniel,

I think I am looking for the solution for using ""Repackaging an existing installation in a VMware virtual machine"

Please some advises here.

Thanks.
Newbie in Installer
Daniel

Hello,

If you want to repackage using our Repackager tool all the related EXE and then you want to create a setup project which will install the repackaged EXEs into a certain order than you can proceed like this:

1. repackage the ORGinal.exe into a separate repackage operation; import the results into a setup project and build it
2. start a new repackage operation and now use only the SP1.exe setup (to be repackaged); import the results into a new setup project and build it
3. start a new repackage operation and now use only the SP2.exe setup (to be repackaged); import the results into a new setup project and build it
4. create a new installer setup project (i.e. using the "Enterprise" or "Architect" project template) and add all the above built setup packages as feature-based prerequisites for the current main setup project; the prerequisite packages will be installed in the order (from top to bottom) you added them in "Prerequisites" page
5. create a "custom feature selection dialog" and build your main project

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Daniel
johnsmith052

Re: Make MSI from 3 EXE files

Thanks Daniel,

that's help.

what happened if I really need use "Repackaging an existing installation in a VMware virtual machine" in this case?

Can do or can NOT do?

thanks
Newbie in Installer
Daniel

You are always welcome.

Yes, you should be able to achieve this using the Repackaging in VM feature.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”